VectorForce takes too long to overcome inertia?

Hey guys. I’m trying to script an aircraft (a plane, in particular). People have recommended that I use VectorForce to propel the plane but the problem is that the plane has too much inertia (because it is very heavy) and since VectorForce only applies force, any change in direction/velocity will cause the plane to continue in it’s previous direction for a few seconds until it slows down enough and eventually overcomes it’s mass to apply the force in the other direction.

This is obviously unacceptable, as the game is pretty fast paced and I want players to be able to change their plane’s direction quickly and sharply if needed. So, with this in mind, what would you guys suggest to do in terms of propelling and rotating the plane?

1 Like

Increase the force. F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. To increase acceleration, and thus react faster, you simply increase force.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. Though, how would you determine the amount of extra force needed to have equal acceleration in another direction? I was thinking about getting the angle between the target velocity and current velocity, and using the current acceleration to find the force currently being applied to the aircraft, but I’m just not sure how it would all (accurately) play together.

Thanks!

If you wish to have your aircraft maintain a certain velocity when subjected to disturbance, you need some sort of ‘controller’ which will apply a force to counteract any disturbance force. A PD controller can be used for this.

I’d just like to have it so that the plane goes in the direction that it is facing. Will a PD controller allow for that? I was thinking about negating the force and then adding the desired velocity to it, otherwise the plane would fly sideways when it turns. I will look into PD controllers now.