VideoFrame Ended event sometimes does not fire when the video ends

There are times when VideoFrame Ended event does not fire, possibly related to the TimePosition value.

Reproduction steps:

1. Open the attached example project “VideoFrame_Ended.rbxl”.
  2. Enter the play mode and observe the Output window or the SurfaceGui.

Expectation is that the SurfaceGui keeps playing random videos and never stops, however it randomly stops after like 3-5 videos.

VideoFrame_Ended.rbxl (57.5 KB)

Here’s my reproduction video in studio: video frame stopping

It also appears to be happening in regular player:

Screenshot of it happening in player

It might be more consistent to reproduce when playing some specific videos, however I haven’t tested this theory of mine.

My computer specs in case it has any relevence here:
GPU: Radeon RX 570
CPU: Intel i5-4690K

1 Like

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

Thanks for your report @LeikaZ. Video playback is designed as primarily a client-side/local feature. The VideoFrame event client-server replication has some known problems which we would like to address in the future. Your script is running within the server context and encounters this known issue. If you convert your script to StarterPlayerScripts > LocalScript it will run correctly. Alternately you can keep the current location and set RunContext=“Client” and it will work correctly (with a small change to get the VideoFrame). Please let us know if you require this video playback feature on the server side which will help us prioritize a fix.

1 Like

I hate to revive a topic a year later but I’m having the same issue with this as well. Sound.Ended works perfectly fine on the server in my game however VideoFrame.Ended does not fire at all for me while on the server.

1 Like