[VideoFrame] Playing Videos In Your Game

Using VideoFrame

by t_eknik

I’m sure you’ve been long awaiting this tutorial as it is extremely hard to locate and hard to figure out how to use CloneTeee1019’s VideoFrame Module.

VideoFrame is an extremely powerful module he discovered using power tools and so it is advised you take precautions when coming to use it.

Please note that the use of the Mod Manager is something not advised as it is possible it can cause damage or difference to build which could result in roblox intervening.

I stress that this is ONLY for fun

While using non-production versions of Roblox Studio are less risky than modifying fast flags, there is still a risk for corrupting the install or place files with these builds. The test environments are effectively stage testing (testing in a production-like environment), and significant bugs can and do happen.

1. Downloading and Installing Mod Manager

Mod Manager

The Roblox Studio Mod Manager is an open source bootstrapper for Studio that aims to provide extra and improved flexibility for Users who want to make experimental customisations to their studio.

It’s use in the tutorial

Mod Manager is used as it allows us to go back in time in the versions of ROBLOX studio, to get to the version where VideoFrame wasn’t removed (ROBLOX Removed it, not for issues, but because they are always flexible within what they include in their game test builds.)

It can be downloaded via: https://github.com/CloneTrooper1019/Roblox-Studio-Mod-Manager/releases/download/v2019.12.24/RobloxStudioModManager.exe

Do remember that installing this and using a non-production build of studio poses the risk of data loss and corruption.

2. Installing Gametest2 build 0.414.0.368784 (Sep 12)

As aforementioned ROBLOX removed VideoFrame from later versions.

To begin with, we launch Roblox Studio Mod Manager:

Next, we want to select in the studio branch, gametest2.robloxlabs.com:

And finally, we select, in Target Version, 0.414.0.368784 (Sep 12):

When you have done this, press Launch Studio

3. Using VideoFrame

VideoFrame isnt found in the advanced objects tab so we first begin by typing into the console:
Instance.new("VideoFrame", workspace)

As an example it can be used on a SurfaceGui, however:

You should be careful of Copyright Issues, and stick to putting your video files into the Roblox Studio Content folder and using rbxasset:// to insert the videos

VIDEOS MUST BE IN WEBM FORM

Most likely the feature will not be deployed for a year or so as an open beta. This is because of the numerous possible issues in using VideoFrame such as the ability to exploit and use Obscene footage in the videos, such are not friendly for children.

In addition, moderators I’m sure would rather not sit watching videos which are lengthy and as such there is another reason not yet to deploy as well as copyright and the introduction of the three strike system.

This remains a test and a fun thing to play around with.

Lua API:

Thanks for Reading :slight_smile:

Please leave your comments, questions and feedback in the replies.

15 Likes

I downloaded the program but there is no option for “gametest2.robloxlabs”, just for “sitetest2.robloxlabs”. Any idea?

image|350x254

2 Likes

I’ll check for you, and edit if needed. Thanks for that! Can you confirm the same version is available with sitetest2?

2 Likes

It’s available on the program. I also tested it out with the same version but different Studio Branch, it indeed doesn’t work as it says that it is Unable to create an Instance of type “VideoFrame”.

1 Like

Hi, I updated the link to https://github.com/CloneTrooper1019/Roblox-Studio-Mod-Manager/releases/download/v2019.12.24/RobloxStudioModManager.exe , can you try this?

2 Likes

How is this post any different from this resource?

1 Like

I didn’t notice that. What would you have me do?

You can make a request to the community sages or flag your post to have it closed.

1 Like

I’d rather not: my version forces builds whilst he uses fast flags of VideoFrame

Well that’s just a matter of preference. Your post and the post I linked have no differences aside from the version of studio being utilized (and of course the way the post was composed). You could’ve just added to the existing post that using the gametest2 build would be another way to make use of video frames.

Ok. Thanks for your contribution.

1 Like