ViewportFrame Release

Might have to wait on that until Roblox adds in camera to screen support. :stuck_out_tongue:

The thing that Source games use to render things displayed on a TV.

2 Likes

Fantastic update!

I’m considering using ViewportFrames to avoid guns clipping in first person whenever this feature is live for games & lighting is supported for ViewportFrames (and in general when my Universe isn’t returning a 500 Server Error.) Everything looks great so far though!

Also discovered this by accident: 3D Skyboxes possibly?

14 Likes

I really like the idea behind the ViewportFrame. I think it’s really useful and removes the time of having to take pictures of objects and upload them as a decal. However, one feature I’m really hoping for is the ability to render a camera’s viewport on a UI during runtime. For example, in my theatre group I’d like to be able to display the stage from the audience view for the stage crew on a SurfaceGui. Another example would be security cameras for our security team. Both of these would be really useful, and I hope they get considered.

9 Likes

You explained what I was wanting to say earlier so much better than I could.
If we’re able to see what a camera sees through a SurfaceGui, the first thing I’m recreating is this.

8 Likes

It needs some way of projecting text onto 3D space. Otherwise I don’t have much of a practical application for it, unless I create a bunch of decals for each letter.

1 Like

I am a day late but Module3D V6 is out. Hopefully, V6 will be the last major version. There may be a V6.1 at some point.

6 Likes

Are we not able to use Welds / Motors in ViewportFrames? Was trying to run animations on an object, however, I wasn’t able to :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m pretty certain that physics aren’t run in ViewportFrames, they only update when the Camera is updated so objects within them are frozen, by all means.

3 Likes

Really excited for this fix. My car looks wonky…

6 Likes

Dang, that’s too bad. Hopefully something could be worked on to allow some form of this? (Obviously I have no clue how difficult it really is to make… but still, I hope :stuck_out_tongue:)

3 Likes

Tried making splitscreen with it :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

24 Likes

Now we are thinking with portals!

9 Likes

Would really enjoy being able to play animations in ViewportFrames… please.

23 Likes

Could we see the addition of a Subject property? By default this property would be null, however if it was not then instead of using the children of the class, it would use the children of this property. This would allow two frames to display the same object, as well as objects which exist in workspace (allowing animations to be displayed).

37 Likes

Really loving the start already! :smiley:
Excited to see what the final result of the ViewportFrames will be. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

someone get on this please. this is the genius play.

3 Likes

ViewportFrame is not designed for massive objects rendering. So it’s not a good idea to use it for split screen, portal or rendering lots of workspace objects because of performance. These features should be implemented using other methods instead of ViewportFrame.

15 Likes

How did you even do this?

6 Likes

Will we be getting other methods of doing this?

13 Likes