Visual/Block Programming for Lua

The front page of Roblox today is filled with games that heavily if not fully rely on their scripting, however, many people don’t learn programming and scripting as it’s very complex and difficult to learn for new players and even developers. Having experience learning other languages, I learnt almost all of my scripting through block coding, to begin with as it’s incredibly simple to learn and follow along with.

I feel that here on Roblox we could and should implement a block coding system for newer and more inexperienced players, developers and coding enthusiasts. This will allow for the learning of code for players who struggle to understand Lua and it could widely increase the scripting community. A set of block coding is much more identifiable and useful to new coders as it’s easier to grasp the meaning of each block, for example:

instead of: block = game.workspace.part
it could be: variable name: (block) variable origin: (part)

An addition of block coding can significantly increase development and programming accessibility here on Roblox. Allowing users to learn in a more accessible and friendly way to learn for newer users on the platform. This can open large opportunities for the growth of the scripting community and can allow for more people to make fun and well-scripted games from scratch.

5 Likes

Support, however there should obviously be a toggle for this somewhere in studio settings. I don’t want to be forced on block coding because I prefer hand typing much more. I do agree this will help newer players learn, especially if you can toggle the blocks at any time to reveal the typed code behind them.

5 Likes

This has already been requested.

Please make sure your feature has not been asked before you post.

On a side note, this website has implemented a block coding version of Roblox Lua
https://roblox.codekingdoms.com/ you can mess with their first Lua tutorial for free

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.