Ways to learn Scripting

Pretty cool to find my game in this thread. Glad you like it!

10 Likes

If you want some more answers, I made a post like this a while back that you can check out :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I say just what I sayed to other and all of them learned it and about c# if you learn console basic it is easier than solve (without knowing what does " do) what to put on client and server
But it is just tip and learn it how you want

Hey! I wish you best of luck learning. I’ve posted to help people learn about three times here is my recent one;

Here are some great ways, that’ll get you far ways.

Open free models, check their scripts, understand how they work, and try combining code!

• This works most of the time, I helped many people learned how to code like this, once you get the hang of it you will be able to start scripting.

Use the DevForums

• Another great resource is the ROBLOX official Developer forums, the site we are speaking on currently. This site can help you with any coding, building, just about any development issues.

Use the developer.roblox.com site

• This site is a great site to learn scripting, here it is
    Roblox Developer Hub
    This is an amazing way to learn.

YouTube Tutorials

• There are many YouTubers who can have great and helpful tutorials. If they provide the code in a model, try making it yourself instead of using the model. If your just using the model, try understanding how it works.

And finally, friends!

• If you have experienced friends who can code, ask them for help, they most likely will help.

Don’t forget, you also need tons of patience to learn how to code. You have the good, and the bad, coding can get complicated, just never give up, you’ll be great at one point. Good luck!

~Kensizo :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It is obviously easier to learn lua if you already know an other language so learning any other language could be useful but I don’t know if the time taken to do that will be worth it

I’m not a scripter myself but I can give you a few tips, you can try YouTube as there a lot of YouTubers who makes videos to help you learn, if it lua then that my only choice as there not much things out there for lua.

Not worth it, I recommend starting off with LUA, and then moving to other languages like I did. Like English and Latin, LUA and other languages are similar.

For me it was good to know one side c# before client and server sides lua

Personally I already knew how to use python, learning lua was way easier except for the object being pseudo objects in lua.

Personally I started with lua but I did not know anything about strings,… and I stopped because it was too hard and I started with c# and when I returned to lua when perfectly knowing c# I easily understood what is the each side permission
(This int best method (because roblox rules) but with making OWN blank game and exploiting it, you will also learn what is client side permission)

The best way to learn lua is to code and code until you achieve what you want do it a lot and you will improve.

The best way to learn to code is to be dedicated, have patience, and be willing to step out of your comfort zone to learn new things.

1 Like

Good motto, but when its hard and you don’t know basic you will just copy from internet code that you don’t know what mean

The best way to learn to program is to practise, I know it sounds cleché but it is true, listening to endless tutorials will not help very much, however watching them and following along, understanding the code, changing parts to see what happens does. The reason I stress understanding is then you can use this knowledge to use in the future, blindly copying someone else’s code not knowing how it works does not help!

Looking through free model script and editing them can help you see how thing work, however, be careful of them because they can be written badly, causing your code to be written badly or contain malicious scripts to negatively affect your place.

Don’t start with something too complicated, if you think back to when you stared modeling, did you start with simple stuff or very detailed, highly complicated models? Choose something just above your current level to challenge you and build new skills for your next mini-project. When you feel more confident in scripting you can start bigger and bigger projects.

Don’t be scared to make mistakes, everyone makes them and learns from them, all programmers have made mistakes, except those who have not tried anything above print("Hello world"). All you need to do is try again, they shouldn’t hold you back in the slightest.

Remember, this takes time and keep a positive mindset (possibly the most important thing) if you start saying “I can’t do this” or “Everyone else is better” then it will become true, unfortunately, however if you start thinking positively along the lines “How can I solve this problem?” or “It’s getting there, just a bit more practice and I have this!” will go a long way. Anything is possible when you put your mind to it.

Once you have the basics, start learning how to write efficiant, secure and FE (Filtering Enabled) friendly code. This means when you start coding games, they will have a lower chance of being hacked and can be up on the platform (Non-FE games are not allowed).

Finally, have fun, there is no point learning to program if it is a chore! :smile:

Project ideas:

• Color changing parts
  • Transparancy changing parts
  • Moving parts (Tweening and/or teleporting)
  • Creating parts with scripts
  • Basic math - Including algebra
  • Print your math answers using a loop
  • Make it so if your answer is smaller than 5 it prints something else.

Useful resources:
AlvinBlox
PeasFactory - Creator of Icecream Van Simulator
Roblox Intro to Scripting Playlist
Learning to Script podcast
Roblox API
Here on the Dev Forums! - Don’t be afraid to ask if it hasn’t been asked before!

5 Likes

Something that helps me a lot is to look in the ROBLOX library and find something that can be coded. Don’t open the item, but try to recreate it. Start out with something that you think would be easier, and work your way to harder things. Trust me, you’ll catch on very easily.

As said in previous comments, PeasFactory on YouTube is a great resource.

In my opinion, I think the best resource is the ROBLOX API. It really helped me, and I think that it will help you too.

Nothing beats this resource:
https://devforum.roblox.com/search?q=learn%20scripting%20category%3A55

1 Like

In my honest opinion -

Here are some quick tips before I give you a honest introduction, in order of importance [ To me anyways, yours can differ differently]

1. For the love of god, do NOT watch any youtube tutorials on it, especially Roblox ones. These tutorials teach based around memory and never explain to you the technical side of Scripting. You’ll never be able to properly understand scripts watching youtubers explain to you how to script.
  2. Always try to learn the technical side of scripting, as grueling as this process can be, once you are able to understand functions, variables, and such. You’ll be able to begin putting your own scripts together without having to rely on other people for scripts.
  3. Try using free model scripts and trying to re-create them without them being exactly the same thing. I found this very helpful to creating my own scripts
  4. Always look for friends to help you with scripting, without my friends I would’ve never reached a decent level of scripting, they’re the ones who will ultimately guide you and answer your questions in the start.
  5. Never push yourself past your limit![Please!] This has been known to create a lot of problems for scripters and it ends up in under qualified scripters taking a job which qualified scripters are able to do. - This doesn’t mean you don’t take jobs ahead of your level to learn, it just means don’t go trying to do things which require thousands of lines of code when you’re barely starting out lol

As for an introduction. - Try reading the Lua wiki and getting accustomed to the wording of Lua, with that you’ll be able to properly begin making scripts while understanding how the Engine works and being able to piece things together.
No one said learning to script is easy, or that you’ll start out as a god level scripter. But remember, as someone once said. In order to make 100 games, you have to start out with one.

6 Likes

Start searching devforum for similiar topics, stop making another, but I do understand its your very first post. Even I am not paid by creators, I am learning Lua by their course program, its really helpful, called CK Studio+. Check out this topic for more info [UPDATED] New Education Platform - CK Studio+

1 Like

I recommend starting off on YouTube for about a week, then when u learn the basics move to the wiki and of course here to answer more specific questions and for tutorials. Then you also have the marmite method of learning of free models

I checked this game and it really really helped me scripting Thank You for puting it there. :smiley:

2 Likes