We need a way to disable/hide friend request notifications in-game

I was recording an atmospheric video of my game, but it was ruined when a friend request popped up in the corner. I’m adding a cinematic mode for players and I’d like to be able to hide friend requests for them.

Friend requests also obstruct my game’s combat touch controls, which can be abused to make other players accept requests by accident or be unable to fight back.

I’d like to be able to disable the default friend request notification and add my own. One that’s less intrusive, fits my game’s design language, and can be hidden. This would work using StarterGui:SetCore.

As a side note, the “screenshot was taken” message plagues half of my screenshots. I could change my screen capture software’s hotkey, but the print screen key makes the most sense. I’m not sure if there’s a way to disable it, but it would be appreciated.

The badge notification also feels janky, but at least I control when badges are given. With friend requests, players are subject to obstructive notifications from anyone who joins the server. I’m sure streamers/influencers are bothered by this too, assuming there isn’t already a setting for this.

These notifications are outdated, and developers should have control over hiding core ui elements that obstruct gameplay.

75 Likes

This is still horrible and needs to be addressed.

There are a few serious problems:

1. It’s possible for users to get harassed without any possible way to hide it. Someone can practically send any number of short messages (via their username) by creating accounts, cycling them into the server, and then by sending friend requests.
  2. Players can (and definitely do) accidentally accept friend requests from random people while just trying to play the game. This can give them unwanted in-game permissions, as well as access to on-site features (trading, messaging, accessing test places, etc.)
  3. Forced notifications like this can interrupt an experience’s controls, which is especially bad on mobile. This is mostly an annoyance, but is serious for PvP games with high stakes.

There are also a few nitpicks I have with it:

1. My game uses custom characters, so the Roblox avatar seems out out place.
  2. The notifications don’t scale with your screen size. All of my guis do manual scaling so that button sizes can be tuned for mobile devices, and so it just looks nice on ultra high resolution monitors. This nitpick is true for all Roblox CoreGuis and most experiences on the platform.
  3. It just generally doesn’t match the design of my experience, and it will show up over the notification system I’m working on.

I want to create custom friend request notifications that can be hidden and fits the experience better. We just need proper signals and apis for it.

26 Likes

Bumping this feature request instead of making a new one. In our game, your throttle and brake pedals are entirely covered up by friend request notifications when they show up. I cannot even count the amount of times I’ve accidentally accepted these requests while driving.

3 Likes