We need something like "Cool Creations", but for cooler creations

The Cool Creations category used to be full of really amazing high quality stuff.
Now anyone posts anything on there.

Could we please have a section of the devforums devoted to high quality filtered stuff?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

Also, if someone else made a post about this, I’ve searched and couldn’t find it.

1 Like

Sounds insulting especially to newer developers wanting to show off something new they made and get feedback on it

As you can see Building Support has an entirely different purpose. It is a place to look for support with the building process. Not for feedback. Even the description of the category says to use Cool Creations for feedback. That is what it is for.

9 Likes

That’s why there were categories restricted to the regulars, but now it’s also for members.

Building support is much different from cool creations, it’s for problems regarding building, Cool Creations is for feedback regarding building. Feedback and problems are different things.

4 Likes

I understand that.
I even said

I’m not saying that we should replace Cool Creations, just that we should have something reserved for higher quality stuff.

This is partly related to branding too.
I used to be inspired by looking at the stuff in Cool Creations. I used to think, “wow, the Roblox engine is pretty cool for being able to support projects like this. That quality is something worthy of striving towards”.

I think having a good source of something to strive towards is important.

Quality is subjective and what is considered “quality” varies from person to person. Cool Creations is just a name for the category. It is not for posts with content that is the definition of what everyone considers “cool”.

It looks like you are suggesting a duplicate category but that category is going to be posted in too, so I am not sure what this would solve

1 Like

I feel a better solution is just to have a private version of cool creations locked to regulars, similar to how the category used to be. Since on the whole I agree with you, a category once filed with neural networks and stunning algorithms has turned into ‘Here is a script that will crash your game by spawning in millions of parts with no waits’.

Also, may you add an agree / disagree poll to the post, im curious in the general opinion of the forum on this.

5 Likes

Art is subjective. Quality is relative, not completely subjective. There are some games you can just look at and say “that’s a cut above the rest”

If something doesn’t follow the guidelines of the category just flag it. Looks like you’re suggesting a regular+ version of cool creations. (your post is very implicit so i can’t tell)

But this doesn’t mean the supposed “issues” with the category will go away. I personally haven’t seen any issues with the posts there. It’s just people looking for feedback on entire games or showing off their buildings and such.

The issue is not with people trying to show off their buildings and such.
The issue is with the high effort stuff being undermined/drowned out by the low effort stuff.

I tried to be very direct with this post.
I want a section where anyone can post high quality stuff, with a post approval system in place to ensure the posts are high quality.

Really? Members need to wait up to days just for some feedback on their creations? This is a great way to kill the post approval team. They have a ton of backlog with #platform-feedback alone.

Fun fact, #help-and-feedback:cool-creations once had post approval on it. It having post approval again is silly.

Again,

Don’t put words in my mouth in an attempt to strawman me.

I never said you were saying that we should replace the category.

You implicitly suggested a Regular+ clone of it or suggested to put PA back on the category. Which I am disagreeing with.

(but tbh it does look like you want the latter)

The point of the Cool creations category is to post high quality creations and etc. While, its understandable that you feel annoyed that anyone can just post on Cool creations, that’s the whole point:
The point of the category is to show off your creations.
This is kind of insulting. You’re calling some of those creations bad.

3 Likes

This. That is OP’s opinion which they are allowed to have. But duplicating a category or putting it back on post approval just because apparently regulars automatically are more capable of making a good showcase than members, and because you disliked certain creations, is silly.

Also, because these users are looking for feedback to improve their creation, hopefully with the feedback applied, it will then meet the “standards” :confused:

If you want a place to share “high quality filtered stuff” I suggest you create your own Discord or use some other place. Any creation, let it be from a newbie to a professional, should be allowed in the Cool Creations catagory.

4 Likes

Why would members need to wait days if #help-and-feedback:cool-creations still exists?

These two quotes seem contradictory

Again, you’re putting words in my mouth.

My exact words were

I’m stating that some content is simply not as high quality as other content.

That’s fine. I’m ok with Cool Creations being open to anyone.
At the same time, I think we could benefit from a category specifically for higher quality creations.

You say they won’t need to wait days for post approval but you suggested post approval being added. This will certainly kill the team because everyone is going to want to post there just for more attention.

Don’t like certain posts? Mute them. Flag them if they don’t follow guidelines. Don’t like the entire category? Mute it.

Why do we need a second category that is basically the same thing. Just because you disliked some creations doesn’t mean we need an entirely new category. Literally, all these members are asking for is feedback :pensive:

I think we should also just duplicate every other category in #help-and-feedback for “better” support. /s

1 Like

I do feel like the #help-and-feedback:cool-creations category has an extremely huge range of what can be posted there. As @LuaBearyGood said, I sort of expect it to be “cool” like an extremely smart AI system or even showcases for hyper-realistic/low poly builds (if they’re outstanding). Right now I feel like Cool Creations has become a mixture of a wide assortment of posts; it’s just become a dumping ground for “all exceptions”. For example, non-open source resources go in it, and so do posts that ask about feedback on a simple UI. As per feedback, I believe it should only be limited to the Building, Art, and Scripting Support categories. There can be exceptions like a mind-blowing art piece of some sort, but not simple creations such as basic furniture. The overall feeling I had upon seeing a new topic there has been becoming blander and blander over time.

Among the flood of all the other posts, it can get quite difficult to find actual “cool creations”/useful resources such as the project by @PoptartNoahh or the InCommand plugin. I don’t think the category should be open to members, because the same problem happens with the #resources categories.

@sjr04, I disagree. I don’t think the tone of @dispeller is insulting, and people who post there shouldn’t be hurt either. After all, it’s currently a category for feedback of all sort. Judging its quality is part of such feedback. After spending time on creating something and asking for feedback, they know that not all feedback will be positive. Think of the #resources category, pretty much all regulars are chanting for it to be closed off from members, without thinking if any member would be hurt, which they shouldn’t be as the category name/description’s standards haven’t been met by most of them. Plus, quality isn’t always subjective. If you really want to be that technical about it, basically everything is subjective. We all agree with what the quality of the bad posts in resources is, so this is no different. Sure there are gray areas, but most of the time, it’s clear as to what the quality of something is.

This is happening with almost every cherished category on the DevForum, #resources, #help-and-feedback:cool-creations, #forum-feedback, and even #discussion. From being pristine and having some sort of value to being a dump with so many low-quality posts, that “cool” doesn’t even apply anymore.

In short, I don’t know why “feedback” and “support” has been so clearly distinguished. They are connected to each other in more possible ways than I can count. #help-and-feedback:cool-creations should either have its name changed, get a new Cool Creations category, or not allow basic creations. I mean, why can’t the feedback on a simple chair go in #help-and-feedback:building-support, they’re asking for support on how to make it better, essentially. The range of what Cool Creations allows is significantly larger than that of the support categories, which it should be the other way around. It’s like allowing non-Roblox tutorials in #resources, which doesn’t make sense; they should belong in their corresponding Forum. Similarily, “cool creation” topics should belong in their corresponding support categories (Art Design for UIs, Building Support for a crane, etc.). The range of allowed topics in #resources is limited to Roblox resources for a reason, so why isn’t the #help-and-feedback:cool-creations limited to actual cool creations.

Imagine that you have two cups; one really big, one really small. If you have only a little amount of water, does it make sense to pour it into the large cup? No, because it fits better in the small one, so same goes for feedback topics in #help-and-feedback:cool-creations.

Plugins like InCommand go in Cool Creations (which, do keep in mind is part of the #help-and-feedback super-category), which just doesn’t make sense. From asking for feedback on a chair made of 10 parts, to grand AI system capable of analyzing words and their connotations, this is the Cool Creations category. No other category has this large of a range. I think it should only be for showcases and resources.

Thank you.

5 Likes

You’re assuming regulars are better than normal members, and thats not the case. Regulars are just more consistent on the forum. They are not better or worse at developing than members.

3 Likes

It is a stereotype thats true, but its not just about quality, regulars are more likely to know how their resource compares to others in the category, and if their creation would be fitting there, they have the experience to know the standards. whereas in comparison members see the words ‘Cool’ and ‘Creation’ next to each other and instantly think, without reading the guidelines, or any other post in the category ‘Hey, it was kinda cool yesterday when I accidentally crashed my game by running a while true loop without a wait statement, ill post that there’

2 Likes