We’ve Rebuilt Sponsored Games!

I am interested in the percentage thing, so if you can show me impressions for some of your existing ads to see if you’re that confident in what you said please direct message me on the forum.

I’ve run multiple ads and people don’t see them, so the issue at hand doesn’t seem to apply to everyone. For the people that do, solutions should be put in place. Unfortunately, the context of said conversation refers to you trying to claim ads are overadvertised to people in your group, as confident as to say 30%… No

[Edit to reply as I do not want to flood]

It’s under 1% for sure.

[Edit to reply 2 as I do not want to flood]

I am not referring to CTR. You are not getting over 1% of ad IMPRESSIONS through people in your group, and I’d just like to see your impression stats from your ad to basically prove this.

impressions get a lot of people in total. Can you tell me how much you usually bid? If it’s like enough for 10k impressions [which is tiny], lets say ‘5%’ saw it, I wish I had 500 people constantly dming me LOL jk

let’s not prove something with such a large sample size by witnesses, because you need a lot more than you think for even a small percentage

2 Likes

The 30% isnt an exact number, but it surely is way more than it should be.

This is amazing!!! I am so happy that small games are getting more respect over the very large game, Adopt me! For example, the very well built game School of Witchcraft and Wizardry will finally get some respect after 5 years!! Finally, the advertising system is getting some great love!

1 Like

I dont see whats wrong with gender targeting for advertisements. Yes, you cant say that one specific gender or age group will appreciate a genre over another, since everyone is different. But if you go onto the most popular Military games on the platform and look around, there are VERY few people from the female audience, thus serving the ads MOSTLY to males will help that game a bit more, it doesnt mean they WONT serve the ads to females, just means they wont see it as much.

3 Likes

Are you talking about the CTR? Because yes most ads have a CTR under 1% thats usual, but thats the ratio of Views / Clicks, not Non Member / Member.

Finally! :pleading_face:

This is a fantastic update! That bunch of new sponsor options all of a sudden is a great improvement to the current system. Sadly I will have to wait a bit since I can’t access the new feature yet…

Can we expect a similar update on the current advertising (not sponsor) system? It has been quite abandoned for ages and it would be great if we could bid for larger periods and select our target audience with the old ad system.

Also, as a suggestion, geographically targeting might be another practical option for a future update.

Yes, ads need to be improved. I have seen my own ad with my account several times, once even blatantly displayed in the advertised game page, with bids under 25 R$. Needless to say I did not force the system by refreshing the page, but just surfed the website as normal.

9 Likes

Exactly. It feels redundant to see my own ad or game sponsor. I know it exists, and clearly I play it or at least work on it if I made it and advertised it.

I’m not sure why you are focusing on the gender targeting but not the age targeting. Your argument about “stereotypes” is literally the entire point of targeted advertising–finding the best audience for your game by finding a group that it appeals to.
The issue of non-binary users can be solved by just not requiring users to provide their gender–then don’t put these users in the gender-targeted advertising pools

4 Likes

Yes! Finally, powerful marketing tools.

I’m so excited to utilize this new system. Aside from the current discussions regarding gender, this will be a great way to finally allow developers to actively segment, advertise to, and create target markets!

This is, in my opinion, one of the biggest enhancements for all developers- specifically smaller devs.

With target markets and market segmentation practices in place, not all games will have to compete directly against each other. A game for a more mature audience, will likely not have to compete with an ad deemed for a younger audience.

Small developers have such better opportunities for aggressive market penetration.

In the future, would love to see geographical targeting. Would be a great way to get your brand newly localized game into foreign markets!

So excited for this!

5 Likes

Welcome to every large corporation ever.

4 Likes

When you sign up you give your age and gender and you can change this in settings. The staff don’t ‘know’ yours and millions of others individual information unless requested, everything is automated.

Yes, I presume that you will set the target audience and ads will automatically be displayed to accounts with the info that matches the audience you chose.

You have to know your game to know your audience. If you are unsure about your audience you can experiment with different age groups and/or genders to see what type of audience your sponsoring appeals to the most. I’m sure you won’t be forced to choose a small targeted audience unless you want to, so I assume you will be able to still select both genders and all age groups if you wanted to.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, not as many people spoof their age as you think. Most professional advertisement platforms like google and facebook already offer options like this and many more and I would be excited to see many more features for the advertisement system on roblox to help us save robux and capture the right audience for our games. The more options, the more effective your marketing can be if done right.

1 Like

Yes and I dont understand why people are trying to reverse this, both male and female players have the ability to choose what game they play. It doesnt harm them at all and it is beneficial for us as developers.

4 Likes

Yes it is so amoral to face biological reality and utilize the information for statistics to better understand your audience.

I wish your absurd message was only a troll, like in the good old days, but clearly it isn’t. So much passion and wasted text for something so ludicrous. Guess what pal, you can’t make “everyone comfortable” nor should anyone even try.

Also in case you didn’t realize, Roblox’s purpose as a business is to profit…

10 Likes

I disagree with this statement, I am co-developing a soccer game right now and this is pretty helpful. I have noticed in several soccer games, or sports games in general, are mainly male. I’m not saying girls can’t play the game or they don’t play sports, but males are more likely to play my game
Because of this, this targets a certain gender that is more likely to click on my advertisement because the game is more targeted to my game.
I’m not being sexist here, it’s just the fact that males are more likely to play my game, so my target audience should be them.

2 Likes

I don’t think we should start bringing personal opinions into this, everyone has different opinions on that.

I think we should discuss things practically. Let me give an example why targeting a certain group might be more helpful. For example, you might be advertising a gaming pc, I don’t think you would advertise to children because that simply decrease the amount of users then solely advertising for teens.

Teens: 85 percent might like gaming

5-year-olds: 2% might like gaming.

You advertise to 1000 people, for solely teens you get 850 people.

Now let’s do mixed advertising so maybe 50 percent of the people advertised is kids, 50 percent are adults.

Now only 10 kids and 500 teens use the product. Now only 520 people, which is less than before.

We aren’t here to discuss ethics, everyone has their own ethics.

That’s not to say we should stop kids from buying gaming pc’s, if they want it we don’t restrict them.

3 Likes

I’m not opposed to marketing to specific ages because a lot of games can be too mature and/or too difficult for young kids to grasp. I’m against marketing to specific genders because it’s stereotyping against all of the gender groups. While I do have personal thoughts about this issue and I’ve expressed my personal thoughts in this thread, the main reasoning for why I’m against that kind of marketing is because outdated and (borderline) genderist.

2 Likes

I disagree with your statement here. Gender is often a big factor when it comes to advertising your products. Let’s say you’re making a clothing store and you have clothing items that tend to be more female-like. Because of this, females are more likely to wear it than men are.
So, you want people to buy your product, factors such as gender do matter in this situation, it’s not a matter of stereotyping something, but it’s really just getting a bigger audience for your products.

1 Like

What’s different here though, at this point we’re stereotyping that kids can’t understand difficult elements. Stereotyping is stereotyping, stereotyping ages or gender doesn’t really change that.

but in the real world, just like most children won’t be interested in certain things (complex games), certain genders will be more interested in other things to. By utilizing what certain groups like we get a bigger audience.

1 Like

That’s literally the problem that several people here, including myself, have been mentioning. By assuming that mainly females will wear female clothing, then you are excluding all of the non-females that wear female clothing. By limiting the advertising to a specific gender group, you are enforcing the already problematic gender rules. That’s what we are trying to get across as it’s not only wrong but insulting.

2 Likes

We aren’t enforcing anything here though, if the player want’s to play the game he/she play’s it, there’s no restriction on a boy going to a female clothing store game on roblox.

1 Like