What are some good tips for building low-poly?

Hey everyone! I’m a pretty new here and this is my first post. Today, I took this screenshot and thought my builds looked good in it.

These were my first ever real builds. Tell me what you think! (I want your honest opinion.)

Anyways, now onto the main topic! Since I’m new, and like low-poly, I want some tips. I also have some questions.

First of all, should I use Blender, or should I use Roblox Studio? (I don’t currently have Blender, so should I download it?) Second question; where do you get inspiration for your builds? Third question what do you do for detailing? I’ve seen this kind of window shine:

(This build is by Ahlvie.)

That’s all folks! Thank you for reading and/or responding.

3 Likes

A quick heads up, on the 1st picture on the truck the side mirror ( i think thats what it is anyways) is on the window which should not be there.

1. For more ‘squarie’ things you should you Roblox Studio, but for more curved or stylised things you should use Blender.

2. Concept art and movies.

3. Good texturing usually makes it look more realistic.

Alright, I’ll change it to be on one of the white parts.

Okay. I kind of was wanting to make more curved objects. Also, I want to keep the low-poly theme with minimum textures.

You can use cartoonish texture on low poly

That would make sense for a low-poly build. Thanks!

1 Like

Ok, time to answer your questions:-

Question 1👉 Yes, builders for low poly building, they use both Blender and Roblox Studio. Its really depends on the developer on which to choose to use them.

Question 2👉 In my opinion, they mainly use their imagination, confidence and hardwork to pull it off.
If me, I will try replicating my builds from google images or from my picture dictionary.

Question 3👉 Use images as textures for detailing, or pro builders use the Roblox Studio building tools to make something super-duper realistic!!

Good luck dude…

Hi, first off, you need to understand that low-poly modeling falls into a massively huge category. Most people hear low-poly and think about cartoon style builds and cute design, but that is flawed. Low-poly means the model has a relatively low amount of polygons, I assure you you can make amazingly detailed models that will still be considered low-poly but to amateurs will be looked at as “high-poly” which is once again, flawed.

Low-poly modeling is simply making a model that is low on amount of polygons, not something that is cute and cartoony.

In regards to your question, I suggest picking up any 3D modeling program that you may find either affordable and easy to use or just easy to use (Blender is free and good for beginners). Roblox does not offer a way to 3D model, although Roblox building in a sense is “3D modeling” it is not the same type of modeling.

Regarding your second question, your inspiration needs to come from your creativity and mindset, things you like, stuff you see and think “That could be cool to try and 3D model”. Even just seeing a random tree on the road can come as inspiration, it all depends on you and you alone.

Good luck my friend.

Cheers

Yes, I understand that low-poly means it has a low amount of polygons, but what I’m trying to go for is the relatively well know type of low-poly; cartoon-ish style. I will try blender because it’s free and (as you said) “good for beginners.” The inspiration tips will help me a lot, sense I look at the world a lot.

Anyways, thank you for your tips.

As always, it’s the person’s preference. But what I’m thinking of more blocky-type buildings to be built in Roblox Studio, and Blender for the details (that’s what people say).

I agree with your opinion on imagination, but you do need some layout or base to work off of. That’s when your imagination comes into play.

I do use textures; but yeah, it seems that the “shine” comes from Roblox Studio parts.

Overall, thanks!

1 Like