What do I do if I got dislike botted?

Hello,

I made this game https://www.roblox.com/games/3454641910/Liftoff-OPEN. Earlier today and through last week, we were sitting at a constant 82-83% like/dislike ratio. Not the best, but also not bad. I got home today and we were at 29%.

Our game has shown massive potential. The first day alone we more than quadrupled our profits. I am beyond upset about this.

Is there anything I can do? Can I contact support and see if there is anything they can do about it? Sorry if this is the wrong section, if it is please move me to the correct section.

24 Likes

There really is honestly nothing you can do about the likes you can have. I would just put a piece in the description about how it was voted and that people should still play it, and then wait for it to balance out as the game gets more popular. Here is a thread about this issue, and what the possible solutions are (since I assume that dislike botting works the same way). Hope your game evens out, good luck!

6 Likes

I know this isn’t anyone’s fault in particular, but very few platforms other than roblox suffer from this issue. It’s unfortunate that this happened to you as a similar situation occured to me (and to other devs I know). I would contact devrelations@roblox.com if you haven’t already.

As for contacting general support, they have never done anything for me. I won’t say this is the general result, but contacted them on at least 3 occasions with proof and nothing.

2 Likes

Does devrelations usually do something? How long do they take to reply? I really don’t work all of our hard work and initial success to go to waste just because of a botted rating

2 Likes

You could try to reupload the place, with all of the players data saved. The only thing that wouldn’t save would be your visits.

2 Likes

How do I carry data over from one game to the other?

2 Likes

I am not entirely sure on that. Might be helpful to ask around.

2 Likes

External data storage is possible with google spreadsheets, but there is a size limit on it. As for your previous question, I heard they respond in two weeks or so. They haven’t responded to my email from a few days ago, so I can’t say for sure yet.

It really sucks what happened to your game, and this has even happened to a front page game (which, unsurprisingly isn’t on the front page anymore).

I would suggest you try to contact devrelations anyways, but don’t hope for too much. The vast majority of games can get mass downvoted by a cheap $5 bot service. I would suppose roblox offers some measure of security, just hope your game is popular enough for them to care.

2 Likes

You might also want to kick extremely suspicious users from your game. Maybe an account age restriction.

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but another game (https://www.roblox.com/games/3411100258/witch-prtty-much-evry-bordr-gam-evr)
got downvote botted and instead of having their votes reverted the game got content deleted because roblox thought they were botting…

Unless you are jailbreak or those tip top front page games your like/dislike ratio is up for grabs to any internet dweller out there.

2 Likes

If I kick someone within a few seconds of them joining, can they still rate the game?

3 Likes

Something interesting to note is that the second time we were botted, this showed up in the dev stats:

The total number of visits went up, but tablet visits stayed at 0 and computer visits was actually declining? We disabled tablet after the first botting because that’s where it showed the bots to be coming from.

3 Likes

To prevent it from happening again, look around the devforum there’s a few bot protection scripts.
If not you might as well export everything to another game.

3 Likes

Hey there! So I’ve got some good news, and some bad news.

Good news:

Roblox has a team actively working on this.

You can however prevent bots from staying in your game by checking the connection.
There’s an open source patch place here!

Place botting explanation & ways to combat it

Bad news:

Sadly even after you kick bots and prevent them from staying, they still spent time in the game, which counts as a visit, which allows the bot to rate your game.
There’s not a lot of ways to fix this.

Conclusion:

There’s not a whole lot of options to you. And none of them are particularly great.

1. Paid access: Bots don’t have any MONEY.
  2. Group Access: Makes the game group-only and manually accept people into your game.

So obviously, both of these will DRASTICALLY reduce your player population.

I can’t really think of any better solution. Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

I would definitely contact developer relations like @Lawnmovver suggested!

@Nanonauts
Yes, there’s bot protection scripts. But all they can do is stop bots from staying in the game, a bot can still visit and dislike a game. This solves having bots talking in your servers, but doesn’t solve people botting for like/dislikes/visits.

Thank you for reading, have a great day!

6 Likes

Change the voting-system.
Why is it necessary to have a negative voting-option?
Is a like-option-only not enuff? ^^

.zykez

3 Likes

How does that make sense? The voting tells a ratio between likes and dislike which can indicate if it would be some sort of scam, or generally a bad game.

This is not Instagram, here you can make actual purchases in these games and votes is a factor to prove legitimacy.

3 Likes

I think they should only give voting power to people who are proven to be players, not just any random account made in 2 seconds…

4 Likes

Make the place paid with the lowest possible price. It will stop the bots, but it will also stop non-paying players from joining. This shouldn’t be an issue if you keep it so for up to half a year.

3 Likes

Another game called “Teleportation portal demo” also got dislike-botted around 3 days ago. The likes were at around 94% if I remember correctly and then it dropped to somewhere between 50% - 63%.

Link to the game: https://www.roblox.com/games/3638523142/Teleportation-portal-demo

But a few days later most of the botted dislikes got removed and it got back to over 90%.
So as we can see, Roblox is trying to do something against this issue.

3 Likes

Judging by the amount of dislikes, i would re-upload it once. If it happens again then i would assume you are being targeted and just deal with it. There is nothing you can do to prevent this unless you make it paid access. Roblox does occasional remove botted ratings but its not super common.

3 Likes

If your game got bot dislikes just email roblox support

2 Likes