What’s the best software for making art?

Reply with the software name and price

2 Likes

Here’s a small list of some of the best:
Adobe Photoshop CC $20.99/mo
MediBang Paint Pro Free
CorelDRAW $29.95/mo

6 Likes

Krita (free)
Tayushi Sketches (free version and paid version)
Procreate ($10.99)

3 Likes

In my opinion the best art softwares are:

• Adobe PhotoShop
  • Adobe Illustrator
  • Paint.net
  • Affinity Designer
  • CorelDRAW
4 Likes

Hi skarz19!
I know about only:
PaintTool Sai = Free

Personally I love using Adobe Photoshop but if you can not afford a paid program I highly recommend Paint.net

Personally I use FireAlpaca, it’s free and you can install custom brushes for free, really easy to use

2 Likes

I can agree I have used it before on the regular but for a starting artist I think paint.net is a more go to.

I use paint.net if I want to add any final touches, it’s not that good and efficient for art in my opinion.

It really does depend on the type of art you are going for, Pixel art is what I primarily do so you may have had different experiences using the application.

Ohhh, yeah I agree :smile: I use paint.net for pixel art all the time, however there are other applications that are more suited for that, like Aseprite or Photoshop

1 Like

Assuming you own a drawing tablet, some free options include:
FireAlpaca (My go-to, it’s easy to use but if you know what you’re doing you can make some really good stuff with it)
Medibang Paint (Basically a more advanced version of FireAlpaca, but its awful on Macs and other iOS systems)
Krita (I’ve never used it but I’ve heard really good things about it)
Paint.net is also a really viable program for beginners too.
Paint Tool SAI is amazing at what it does but its a paid program. I believe its about $50.

If you don’t a drawing tablet and only have access to an iPad, Ibis Paint is free however I personally recommend Procreate, which is around $10. Once you pay for Procreate you have it forever, you don’t pay monthly for a license like Photoshop or other Adobe programs.
Just another reminder that having an expensive program doesn’t automatically make your art better. I’d recommend starting with a free program first and then upgrade if you decide to take art more seriously.

4 Likes

100% agree with all of this for Pixel Artist’s Aseprite is a great option for them especially when creating complex characters/sprites.

1 Like

Inkscape is good for UI design

Figma is a very good software to use, and best of all, it is free to use!

Looking at this logically, if you want the industry standard you’d wanna get Adobe Photoshop for Raster-based art or the normal art you’d usually make by hand.

If you want to make logos, typefaces and various other vector artwork then go for the industry standard which is Adobe Illustrator.

If you can’t afford having to pay a monthly subscription for Adobe. I’d heavily suggest using Krita. It has as much if not more features than Photoshop. The brush system it has is very powerful and versatile.

It also comes with its own built-in animation suite for frame-by-frame stuff.

Krita is to Photoshop as Blender is to 3DS Max or Maya.

However, if your computer is a potato, you might wanna go for Medibang Paint Pro although I personally don’t like it since its brush system is kinda poop compared to Krita’s. Definitely more useful for simpler artworks and such.

3 Likes

Affinity Designer for me is the best software to make art. You can have a look here: Affinity Designer: galardonado software de diseño gráfico :happy3: For just 49.99, best of all you dont have to pay 29.99 monthly :expressionless: :roll_eyes:

https://www.gimp.org/ Free

Used GIMP and Blender to make these:

There’s more renders i made with the help of GIMP, but due to my client’s project not being released yet. I cant show them for now.

1 Like

Yeah, Affinity Designer’s a great Vector art software but I assume that when he says he wants to make artwork, he wants to make things like this:

Rather than this:

Bastion Armory Texture Maps_diffuseOriginal

The initial post was incredibly vague on this though…

3 Likes

Here are the stuff I used or have used (All of them are free):
-FireAlpaca: This program focuses mostly on normal pieces of artwork than manga/comics. You can create varieties of brushes easily, and it even has unique types of brushes(Blur, Smudge, Mix, EdgePen/EdgePen2, Roller, etc).
I do my main stuff with this program.
-MediBang Paint: If you draw manga/comics more than normal digital art, then you might consider downloading it. It also has a cloud service, and you can download brushes and fonts from it.
I used to use this one, but since I don’t draw comics that, I don’t really use that program anymore.
-Krita: It’s as powerful as Photoshop, and it’s really awesome! The brush creation is very advanced, has a lot of features I can’t count, and comes with some more awesome preset brushes! You can also use it for animation.
I mostly draw backgrounds and animate stuff with this one.
-Paint.Net: Not very good for drawing, but really good for photo editing. You may struggle at first, but then you’ll get used to it.
I used to use this one, but I switched to GIMP.
-GIMP: Not really good for drawing either, but really powerful for photo editing. It’s really customizable, and it has some more useful features than Paint.Net(Such as an advanced transform feature, also, don’t click that link).
I use this for photo editing.

There are also cool ones that costs money to use, and some of them are Paint Tool SAI, Clip Studio Paint, and Adobe Photoshop.

2 Likes