What would it take to implement cross-studio communication via plugins?

I’ve wanted to work on a plugin which I’d think would greatly increase the workflow of development teams based off studio, however one barrier I haven’t been able to crack is cross-studio communication.

I am unsure how I would be able to implement this, and my main idea is to implement a chat system as a base for all the other features, but within Studio itself.

I was wondering if someone could provide a bit of guidance on what the best way to implement this would be, and it would be even better if this advice was centered around adding a chat system to plugins too.

By the way, I’ve been trying to avoid using external resources to implement such a thing, as I don’t really want to step out of my comfort zone in order to use a service that could do this, aka I would like to know if there is a method that is native to roblox.

I am not asking for code, rather a few words of guidance and resources on where to look. Thank you.

Hello!
If I understood correctly, you want to make a chat plugin that allows player to chat with each other from different machines?
I really don’t any other way than making a web server and communicating with it using HttpService.

1 Like

Alright, any free ways by any chance? Budget isn’t really on my side rn

Also some resources would be great on how to implement this, but I don’t mind if you don’t have any

First you’ll need to program the backend I personally use Java with combination of Spring Boot to build web applications.

You’ll have to use some sort of JSON library like org.json to build a JSON file to upload onto your web server.

Then inside Roblox you can use RequestAsync it’s 2nd argument is the method which can either be “GET” (Getting data from web app.) or “POST” (Sending data to web app.).

As for the server I strongly suggest buying a cheap Linux VPS, you can get them for as low as 2USD/m (if you want to run the plugin 24/7) then again you can always use your own pc or a smaller computer like a Raspberry Pi if you have one.

You don’t necessarily need to use Java, any other high-level programming languages will do, even Scratch. Node.js is also a great way to build web apps.

Well if you’re looking for specifically a chat system inside of studio then roblox already has one

View > Chat
Its on the right side

If you’re looking for other things as well you’ll probably want to follow what @zakater is saying

2 Likes