When will the lousy MacOS support for Roblox Studio end?

Is joke I’m sorry.

I have two guesses as why Roblox Studio for MacOS has never been as up to spec as it is for Windows.

The first guess is that Roblox Studio for MacOS just isn’t being tested to the same degree as Roblox Studio for Windows. If this was the case, you wouldn’t have to deal with glaring issues such as the script editor not working properly because it would never fly by any competent QA team.

My second guess is that Roblox Studio didn’t start off with having a good library for cross platform development; instead of doing their homework, the team responsible for porting Studio jumped off into the void and started filling in the platform gaps on their own, building their own cross-platform library. This doesn’t sound that bad, but you’re going to have to consider that for every feature basically double work has to be done. Since support for MacOS probably “isn’t as important” as support for Windows because MacOS has a smaller user base, the MacOS side of things is going to get less work put into it. There most likely are software libraries out there that would allow Roblox to fix this possible problem, but it would involve uprooting the entire application, which is probably too expensive.

In any case, Roblox still has “Beta” plastered all over it in writing and to some degree the quality of the software lives up to this claim. Honestly, Roblox is in a situation where it shouldn’t be rolling out Beta-quality software on any platform.

Even if these guesses of mine are true or not, you’d be probably hard pressed to get any real answers as why you’re not getting the same level of support, which you deserve. If you get an answer, you’ll probably get a response along the lines of “our team is working very hard on these issues, please stand by”. It’s up to you if that’s acceptable. In my opinion, if a company promises support for a platform by releasing for it, it should be up to spec, no excuses.

I’m sorry if my wall of text comes across as being a bit stingy, but I think it is some deserved criticism.

4 Likes

You practically pulled the thoughts right out of my head. :smile:

According to a staff member (I’ll quote it if I can find the post) Roblox doesn’t even own any Macs in their office. I’m sure they have other means of testing MacOS for updates, but I feel that speaks volumes about how easily they’re able to test Windows versus Mac.

EDIT: Quote found and provided in subsequent reply. I myself cannot assume Roblox’s available resources (it was blatant to say that they don’t have any Macs, although I’m still not in the position to guarantee this) but this is the information I’m aware of.

1 Like

I find this unlikely, although it is possible, but usually if they have any in-house video editors/designers/etc, you’ll most likely find them using a higher end Mac as they are typically “better” for stuff like that.

Other topics suggest that there are MacBooks at Roblox’s office if anything, but this is all I know. Either way, I’ve noticed that bugs differ on Apple desktops and laptops so owning one type of Mac isn’t necessarily sufficient.

2 Likes

I also find the support, or lack thereof, for macOS quite ridiculous and even “lousy” as you put it in this thread’s topic. There are many reasons as to why this is this case. Studio is practically unusable at times in macOS and is very unstable all the time and it’s reliability is a mixed bag full of random crashes and bugs for critical components such as the script editor and the explorer window. And considering that an update was made that supposedly fixed the script editor was somehow reversed in a later update (arguably made it worse, at least for me) adds to the absurdity. This is a very big issue and it should be a high priority on Roblox’s end considering it’s been a problem for so long and there are plenty of people who develop on macOS to warrant solid support. At the very least I’d like to hear something and/or anything from staff pertaining to this issue.

My reply from the other topic mentioned in the OP encapsulates my thoughts and details some of the issues I’ve ran into:

1 Like

Mac != iMac. We have reasonable coverage for Mac hardware; the issue in question was for the latest iMac with a 4K display or something like that, which is a very specific hardware configuration. Also hardware-specific bugs are rare on Mac.

2 Likes

I guess the issues escalate even further with a 5k iMac, which is my case. Do you have a timeframe for when the script editor will be fixed? I can deal with all the other annoying bugs but the script editor is a necessity.

1 Like

The main issue is software incompatibilities. Specifically Sierra and High Sierra. Hardware probably doesn’t have much or anything to do with it. No matter the device, if it’s running Sierra or High Sierra you probably have the issues we’ve described (laggy script editor, etc)

Yes, yet I remember hearing from someone a while back that the issue was partly due to the massive screen resolution.

Yeah, macOS’s hiDPI scaling could very well also be playing a part in it. I notice that if I resize my studio window to be smaller the lagginess of the script editor is reduced. And the larger it is, and the higher my scaling is set (more towards or at the “more space” option) the worse it gets.

I can’t speak for the script editor, sorry. @Silent137 probably knows more about this.

Any update on a resolution to this issue? @Silent137

2 Likes

This is an ongoing issue that we’re looking into.

3 Likes

Are you still? At the moment with my Macbook Air with the latest version of the OS (Mojave), I can’t barely turn my camera around or it starts buffering. Explorer is slow, selecting anything takes 3 seconds to buffer, closing a tab takes ages, etc. It’s really buggy, and I haven’t been able to work properly for a couple of months now.

I face some bugs too. When I open up the file selector to import a mesh or image, or even to save, the “Finder” window lags in the scaling animation. The whole computer freezes for about 5 seconds. This happens 100% on all finder interactions only through Roblox Studio. Been happening for over a month now. On macOS Mojave. This is only a sliver of the experience-breaking bugs I’m experiencing.

I still have to run studio in low resolution mode with the default scaling (can’t do the “more space” option in display options) in order to get a mostly smooth script editor. The problem was never solved for me. I was pretty disappointed when they claimed it was fixed in an update and it simply wasn’t. It might have resolved it for some people but the script editor is still completely unusable on any sort of high resolution and I doubt I’m the only one still having this issue. And I’m on a high spec 2017 MacBook Pro (macOS Mojave) which is plenty capable enough to run a simple script editor. Good to see people bringing issues with MacOS support, nothing would happen otherwise.

@Jiskpirate @nurgenius @Acecateer

This is not how to report a bug. There have been at least three separate issues posted in the last three replies, with minimal information – there’s nothing in those posts that engineers can use to identify the problems. These bugs are not global to all macs (I have one which runs Studio without issue), so in order to fix these, you’re going to need to provide more information.

Please follow the appropriate guidelines for reporting bugs, and file one bug per thread.