Where do I begin in managing a team/game?

From a developers POV how much does relevancy, credibility matter when it comes to working on long term projects? I’ve noticed my business approach has been misinterpreted as hostile, pushy, or arrogant. I don’t intend on giving up nor do I want to repeat 2018 therefore I must change however I’m clueless as to what I should try differently.

Here’s the dilemma:
I lack any noteworthy business experience among the community.
I’m not satisfied with my current skillset in building,graphic design, and I can’t write a single line of code.
I can only invest $1,000 in the project due to financial problems.

Issues that need to be addressed:
How flexible should I be with availability? In the past I had required 1% of the project complete on a weekly basis which I felt was fair.

Is 1,000 USD too low of a budget for a long term project? My original plan was to distribute the 1,000 in separate payments instead of a direct payout.

(Payment distribution will be altered if a builder,gfx peaks my interest)

Scripters previous payment plan:
Closed Beta: (Paid access): $100 upon completion
Open Beta: $100 upon completion.
Alpha: $800 upon completion + %
(percentages distributed after 1,000 USD has been reinstated from Developers exchange)

While others may think I’m foolish for paying without guaranteed success I believe hard work should be at least compensated.

What I’ve noticed (Correct me if I’m wrong as this is just speculation):

Simplicity is preferable to a developer as it’s more likely to be successful, easier to manage compared to a complex assignment.

The majority of developers are less likely to be risk takers preferring to remain in their safe zone such as generic simulators.

If money is their only motive in the project than they’ll most likely lose interest.

Lack of communication happens frequently since there’s no set time for a meeting (I’m guilty of this myself)

My apologies in advance if this was placed in the incorrect category, thank you for taking the time to read this.

6 Likes

I’m a little confused with what you’re asking here. You specifically asked this, but if you meant something else I’ll happily answer that too.

The answer for this is that it’s pretty dependent on the person. Full time developers like me have pretty open availability, but other devs are still in school, have day jobs, or have kids, and it’d be kind of mean (and short-sighted) to ask them to sacrifice aspects of life for your project unless you compensate it fairly (which if you’re asking me to skip class to work, you better pay me a lot more than $100).

If you’re having scheduling conflicts, get your team’s weekly schedules and fit your meeting times around it. If one or two people just can’t match availability, then your only option is to have two separate meetings and as the leader it’s your job to keep notes and communicate to both meeting groups of what the other is doing.

My question to you is if:

Then besides leading and organizing, what are you offering to the production of the project?

I think you should refine your questions a little bit

I believe you misinterpreted what I implied, I can build and provide graphics just it isn’t to what I would consider quality.

It’s more of what I validate my current skillset at since I’m a perfectionist.

I completely agree, so I assume 1% of the project completed on a weekly basis isn’t fair or does it vary on the developers availability?

I honestly have no idea how I didn’t think of this… thank you I greatly appreciate it.

This is meaningless, you can’t manage project work in terms of percentage completed (don’t even try). You should define milestones instead for each major game feature and set deadlines for each milestone together with the developers, and be accommodating if they didn’t estimate correctly or unexpected issues come up that make a milestone take longer (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstadter’s_law).

1 Like

I think I understand yet I’m not entirely sure if I do…

Would a GUI for ex be considered a milestone?

I completely agree, however I believe I was doing that from the start. For example, the previous developer had broken his arm. Instead of asking for monthly updates as I previously did. I decided to not bother them with update requests on their progress until 3 months had passed.

I didn’t jump straight into the usual routine of requesting updates either as I was more focused on how they were doing, if they were ready to resume or if they’re still recovering.

Sure, “Complete Shop GUI” is a good milestone. I prefer not to set really big milestones because it makes people overwhelmed, so take things step by step.