Why aren't datastores used by Plugins working properly?

Hey there,
I just uploaded my “To-Do Utility” plugin to the platform today, and then I got an idea to help make the plug-in more useful.

Here’s what the plugin does:

• Allows you to add in things to do (using a TextLabel)
  • Check off the item (removes it from the list)
  • Saves specific lists for specific games only.

However, if there is a group in Team Create and they all have the plugin open, I want the items on the To-Do List show up for each one, and make sure it’s the same list that’s replicated.

I am currently trying to accomplish this with Plugins, however when I call the datastore data (:GetAsync()) I get this error on the account that isn’t the owner of the game:

Studio API is enabled.
So I am unable to see if my method works. Why is this occurring?

1 Like

I also was having this issue! I noticed that DataStores don’t work unless you are the place owner, or have been invited manually. If you were invited due to your rank in a group game though, it works fine.

If you were manually invited, by pressing the team test button, DataStores would work fine.

This issue started happening around 1-2 weeks ago for me.

1 Like

Interesting… hopefully this is fixed soon unless its an intended behavior…

1 Like

I highly doubt it’s intended.

1 Like

If you don’t report it, it won’t be fixed. Use the procedure described in the New Member FAQ to make bug reports as a new member.

2 Likes

Do you want me to file a bug report or do you want to make one… No point making two!

1 Like

Will do, thanks!

I will :slight_smile:

Can’t repro, either because it’s not a bug or I’m not performing it properly. I’m able to use plugins that operate on data stores across any game that I have studio edit access towards.

Are you the owner of the place invited to? Perhaps this is place specific, or only happening to a very specific type of place.

How were you invited to the game. Is it a group game?

Owner or not, studio access is studio access and I’m able to utilise such plugins at places I have studio access towards. Works on team creates, private games and group games.

Double check your game and place settings, as well as code. You can even try running DataStore functions in the command bar and see if it works.

That’s what I’ve been doing. I have ensured that the Studio Access to API Services is enabled, and even HTTP requests as well. This only happens on games that I am invited to work on manually invited to.

I don’t think that Studio access is access to a game because if invited manually you don’t have the ability to change game name or description.
Take this game I’m invited to: image
It’s just me and this guy. When I run the following command:

game:GetService('DataStoreService'):GetDataStore('TestDataStore'):GetAsync('Test')

I instantly get the response OP gets: image

You’ll probably want to make a bug report or wait for a response from someone who’s familiar with this issue then. I’ve never seen this error before, Data Stores work fine for me.