Working on Strings?

I’m trying to advance myself further with Strings - I’m attempting to use the Wiki however I’m finding it far easier // better for my learning to engage in conversation and query stuff rather than sitting and reading.

What I’m looking at doing:
As the player progresses through the game; their “Story” value is increased by +1; However, my ModuleScripts for the cutscenes are labelled as: “#0_Introduction”’ “#1_Waking up”;

I was wondering how I could use Strings to find the corresponding Module for the StoryValue?

I would probably just put the cutscene labels into a list like this:

cutscenes = {"#0_Introduction", "#1_Waking up"}

Then you can just get the cutscene like this!

cutscenes[Story]

Now depending on whether your story value starts at zero you will have to mess with it, but that should work for you!

1 Like

It does work at 0^^
I understand your point though!

I’ve been looking at String.Find hoping that could be implemented in a way.

Personally I think it would be easier to do it the way I showed you. Is there any reason why you want to use all the string stuff?

If you’re really set on using string manipulation for this, you can use a combination of string.find to determine whether the number exists within the # and _, and if so return the module. I don’t think this is optimal, but it’s probably the easiest way to do it with strings.

Edit: made the information more correct

Think I’ve figured it:

for _,i in pairs (ReplicatedStorage["Storyline"]:GetChildren()) do
		local str = i.Name
		if str:find("#" .. PlayerData["isStory"].Value .. "_") then
			print(i)
		end
	end
1 Like