Would making my game single player be a detriment to its success?

Lately I have been coming up with an isometric incremental game, but I don’t know whether or not I should make it a single player experience. With it being single player, it allows for a more personalized and immersive feel, and it is what I originally had in mind. I just worry that a large portion of the player base won’t be interested in it solely because they can’t play with their friends. With all this is mind, should I just keep going with what I am doing, change things up to allow for larger servers, or something else entirely?

Do single player, a bunch of single player games find success. If you really want to, make there be a multiplayer mode.

1 Like

i mean you can just do single player plus player multiplayer as players will have more variety

like what i mean is make it a separate game

1 Like

Singleplayer games tend to have better immersion overall because everything that happens is because of the player and the player alone. (aside from real-time updates, etc.)

If you want to include the ability to play with friends or with anyone in a public server, by all means, if you have the resources and the time, add multiplayer functionality to your game!

It’s never a bad idea to add features and content to your game that may catch the attention of some people over others, while also not becoming a detriment to the content and features that already exist.

TLDR; If you believe that it will make a positive impact on the majority, go for it. :wink:

2 Likes

Honestly, it depends on the type of game you’re making and which would work best. It depends on how you’re making your game. Most Tycoon Games for example are single player taking place in a multiplayer server. Single Player works best for immersion, also because there are no multiplayer dependencies. For example games like Loomian Legacy are inherently Single Player, you progress through the story and no other person has any effect on your game. But the servers are large and allow for multiple players, which means a group of friends can interact over the game together while still being relatively single-player game by nature.

I think it depends how you measure success.

Concurrent players? Then likely.
Making your game single-player means your losing out on that critical component of players inviting their friends to join them there and then.

I think Roblox heavily favors multiplayer experiences over single-player ones simply because player socialization is so important on this platform compared to others.

To add to what Kiesere said, Single Player Games not on Roblox without big fan bases typically are made for smaller demographics that tend to buy roughly 100 games a year. That’s how they make their money. Multiplayer can go big and make you a lot of robux if it takes off, yet multiplayer games are a rather competitive field. Single Player games may not be as popular as multiplayer experiences, but having a smaller yet consistent and engaged audience is not a flaw against success. And it’s an inherent benefit of Single Player games, as each player can play when they want. I’m sure we’ve all stumbled upon those cool Multiplayer concepts you can’t play because no one else can play it with you. Or if the fanbase is so small only the same people play it. Single Player has a small barrier to entry, requiring only the player who wants to play it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.