Would Roblox allow this?

So for my bowling game, at some point I’m gonna be attempting to create a multiplayer mode. I’m pretty sure what I wanna do for it is gonna be okay as far as Roblox’ terms of service goes, but I wanna rest assured.

So the concept would be like, you’d be matched up against another player in the server, and you would bowl against him. The player that finishes with the higher score wins the match, and gets a prize.

So I thought of this idea from that popular bowling app by Jason Belmonte, where both players pay an entry fee to the match, and it goes into the winner’s prize pool. The winner then claims the prize pool.

I don’t think this is gambling? I want there to be some sort of mode for multiplayer where, if you don’t wanna play for fun, you could play competitively, and if you win, you get something. But if you don’t, I want the player to lose something as well.

Thanks guys.

10 Likes

As far as I’m aware, as long as the currency you’re throwing in is not purchasable by any means, it’s fine. Otherwise, it’ll be ruled as gambling.

Why not just use points then, like every other game? At the end of competitive seasons, the points are then reset and you’re given a prize depending on how many points you got or whatnot.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

Do you think you could specify what you mean by “purchasable?”

If you can purchase coins directly, if you can purchase something that gives coins, or if you can purchase items that can be sold for coins. Basically, if spending Robux could be used to get coins.

So basically gambling for coins?

Well, you can. But it’s not a premium currency alone, you can earn it really easily for free by just playing single-player games and then earning currency based on your performance.

This is all that’s important. From my understanding of the rules, you would not be able to do this then. Consider my alternative approach in the first post with unpurchasable points, which is what other games do (see ladder systems).

2 Likes

Aw darn it. I mean, perhaps I could almost make a “trophy” system where you lose points for each loss, but for each win you earn a bonus and you gain trophies which then match you with opponents with similar trophies.

Seems like a long shot though, as my game is young and it might not be that very popular when I ad it up, so this idea could be very unsuccessful.

Curious though, because that bowling app is only rated 4+ on the app store, and if this is considered gambling, why is it not rated 18+ for this reason for the app??

That’s a tough question to answer, but usually it’s because using fake currencies is used as a loophole to get around gambling restrictions.

1 Like

So long as it’s only in-game currency that is not purchasable by robux, as @Kampfkarren said, you shouldn’t have an issue.

This can essentially be set up like the dualingo app or many of the pay-wall game apps where so long as you’re winning you get rewards and get to keep playing, but very likely you’d need two currencies if you’d like to set it up like that. One measured by time playing that cannot be won(essentially lives), and one that you get by winning.

That could possibly be a way to work it without it being gambling, but I’d also get a second opinion for that.

1 Like

Okay, what about this though?

What if it’s for a tournament, and there’s an entry fee, and it’s all computer-based players, but if you win the tournament you get a prize.

I think this is built off of the idea but is different enough to not be considered that in any way.

I think it would be okay, as long as it’s in-game currency.

Pardon me if I didn’t read the description of this thread right, but I think it would be fun if you were to make a way to earn in-game currency, Maybe by playing multiplayer matches with other players, you can earn currency. And you can save up to enter a tournament. which you can then try to win more currency. Also making bowling ball and bowling pin skins to buy with the currency would be cool!

2 Likes

The question you have to ask yourself isn’t only a legal one by the service provider (roblox) but also moral.

Will the concept or idea of ‘putting something in’ to ‘get something out’ (gambling) later be perceived as ‘alright’.

You would have to make it extremely clear that gambling is bad, and that you’re system is solely for the competitive aspect of the game, not as a temptation for material gain.

Psychology and moral dilemmas in video games, the joys. :confused:

I think the classic larder board system would work well for your game, both a global one and a friends leader board.

3 Likes

Perhaps create two currencies. ( ie robux and tickets ) One currency is purchasable with robux but cant be used to gamble, and the other NON purchasable, and CAN be used for gambling.

If you are planning on selling items in a shop, then you might try to sell different items for one of the two currencies, getting around the gambling problem and giving players further incentive to play your game in its entirety.

( Similar to Death Run and other games. )

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

I don’t see how this would be gambling. I really don’t. It’s a tournament, some tournaments have entry fees. If you get 1st 2nd or 3d there’s prizes for placement.

This is for any real-life bowling tournament, it’s not gambling. I’ve bowled in tournaments before where you had to pay to get in, and I believe there were scholarships or some kind of reward for placement, and if this was considered gambling, I wouldn’t be able to bowl because I’m under 18.

1 Like

Yea I have to agree with you here. (not saying anybody else is wrong its just tht I dont understand)

1 Like

Any further info here related to what I could do with this bowling game and what I could not do would be awesome. At this point I’m disregarding the multiplayer idea but I’ve been wondering more about this tournament idea, and if that’d be okay.

Try some like 100 credits taken away or something, having a player losing a ‘godly’ whatever then It isn’t really that fair.

1 Like

I think things like this are okay as long as it isn’t adjusted to be in favour of the developer like mystery crates ect. This should be fine.

1 Like

Whether you have to question it being gambling or not is probably your answer.
It’s betting using in-game currency which could be a problem. If you can buy the currency, it gives the currency a partially real value to it.
A way you could solve this issue is make a set amount for each round and it depends on how many players are playing since the players aren’t betting their own money causing it to be gambling. Tell me what you think or if you have any questions. :smile:

1 Like