Would these clouds lag some mobile devices?

EDIT: Just to be clear, these clouds (and their particles) are made out of anchored and CanCollide enabled meshparts.

3 Likes

I mean it really probably comes down to the players FPS. Since they are running on a script to be able to move.

I agree, but my question is, because there are probably about 200+ parts in total when you’ve let the cloud script run for 30 seconds (the particles get deleted when they get smaller and disappear and the clouds get deleted at some point) would those 200+ moving parts cause lag on some common every-day mobile devices like iPhones and Tablets?

From what I know, here are a few thoughts:

If they are all the same mesh part just duplicated, memory wise, mobile players probably wont have an issue. Having the same mesh is more efficient because it all points to the same memory location, which takes up less space.

Don’t quote me on this but I believe disabling collisions would be more efficient, because then the physics solver doesn’t have to check for potential collisions.

If they don’t cast shadows that’s also a major plus. Considering they are moving so fast, having shadows render could cause some lag on low end devices.

Keep in mind players hardly look up into the sky, their focus is primary on the ground or whats in front of them, so I wouldn’t put too much detail into it.

Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. I have disabled collisions and shadows as I noticed they don’t affect anything.

1 Like