Xbox One games lag too often because of quality setting restrictions

As a ROBLOX developer, it is currently too hard to make games with particles and textures in quantity because of the graphic settings the Xbox One is currently defaulted at (10). There should be a setting to turn down the graphics level just like on PC or give developers the ability to set the graphics level at which the place is at. Lag is a main issue for Xbox One as I’ve seen it as a complaint by many players/developers on the platform and have one myself.

63 Likes

One big issue is that just loading into games causes a lag spike for 5 seconds. Very annoying.

17 Likes

As a Roblox developer, it is impossible to test my games to the best ability for all platforms. My games have a mechanism that detects what graphics the player is currently on, and if the player is on graphics 1, then parts will disappear (for example, small details such as books on a bookshelf). This is to increase performance further for players that have trouble running the game such as mobile players.

On Xbox, the graphics is locked at the maximum (10) and therefore I cannot test the performance improvement on Xbox.

Not only does it restrict my ability to test the feature on Xbox, it means users won’t have the ability to run my game on a lower quality level or access the custom quality features I have made. Because of the sheer amount of content which is commonly found in games now days, this means lower end systems are unable to run my games efficiently.

18 Likes

FWIW, the only method I am aware of to check for graphics quality also does not tell you the accurate number if the player is using automatic.

14 Likes

Hey folks!
I’m the PM working on Xbox, and just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback. From a big picture perspective, we are really looking into investing in improving Xbox this year, both from a performance and a usability perspective.

Re: Graphics Quality Slider:
Currently our priority is getting Roblox to run efficiently and effectively on consoles. In the situations where our optimizations arent enough, we want to automatically degrade quality/rendering instead of forcing a user to change the Quality slider. You should see automated graphics being the default within the next few weeks. The improved performance on Xbox should be landing this year, with comprehensive auto-degradation feature taking a bit longer.

17 Likes

Amazing news! Glad you guys still take the time to reply to old threads.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.