A way to generate an item thumbnail without using "ThumbnailCamera"

As a Roblox developer, it is hard to create a thumbnail of an item/model without either exporting something to an external application and then uploading it as a decal or using “ThumbnailCamera” and exporting it as a model and then using a web API to curl the thumbnail from the model. I feel like a way that allows us to skip uploading it as a model and instead creates a decal, would be a great alternative and gives us that little extra ease of access compared to a model.

If there’s a “ThumbnailCamera” inside a model there’s two options: publish selection as model and export selection as decal.

8 Likes

What is your use case for this? Making your models more user-friendly by removing developer-specific idiosyncrasies?

2 Likes

That isn’t the case at all, though. I thought instead of having to use http://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=Web_APIs#Asset_thumbnail just to get an asset thumbnail, you could just skip the part of it being a model and upload it directly as a decal for your own usage. Maybe I didn’t explain something right. :thinking:

2 Likes