Ability to edit UV offsets of default materials

Hi! I thought I would make a thread on this, since it’s a small block in development to make my materials look right across several parts.

When putting two parts next to eachother, their materials are usually unlinked and it can look rather strange. Take this as an example:

If we were to have a simple method of editing the texture offset, issues like this would be quickly fixed and not rely on unions to fix or other workarounds to fix.

A feature like this is observable in Valve’s Hammer Editor, which allows you to edit the texture of individual faces. You can select one face, and apply the same texture to a face on an entirely different object, and it will line up the two textures for you. A tool like this would be best in my view, even if it didn’t include different face textures.

16 Likes

Something interesting a lot of people might not have noticed, the orientation of the texture is generated at random for each user. This can be observed when screenshots or thumbnails have different texture alignment than in-game.

Yeah this would be pretty cool, quite often I get ugly texture merging.

1 Like

Sorry for the bump, I recognise this is a very old thread but it articulates a feature I’d like to see. I’d like to add a fairly common use-case for this.

This would be extremely useful for infinite water or terrain - one very old well known hack for it is to simply have a mesh that scales a part to a ridiculous size, but this has a few limitations:

1. Floating point accuracy - large parts see noticeable jittering and distortion with their surface materials.
  2. It’s not infinite - since the increase to render range (100k studs, if memory serves), making a part 10k studs wide simply doesn’t cut it, as you’re going to see the edge before the horizon.
  3. Moving the part with the camera to make it seem infinite also moves the material, making convincing water (using foil, for example) difficult.

With material UV offsetting, we could offset the material by how much the part has moved, making the surface appear to be still, and negating point 3 entirely. Floating point accuracy can then be solved by simply having a smooth plastic part that stretches further out (as materials aren’t rendered at extreme distances and at shallow angles anyway).

Edit: Could we have this moved to #platform-feedback:engine-features ?

4 Likes