Automatic Plugin Updating

This thread was originally about them making a better animation editor. TURNS OUT - there is! They updated it! But I had no idea :confused:

Will we see automatic updates? It would suck to need to check back through everything weā€™d installed.

(On a side note though, the animation editor is still horribly incompatible with studio in general. Do anything outside the editor and it breaks it)

2 Likes

This is one thing Iā€™d hope they never do to the plugin manager (?) thing. If ROBLOX just automatically updated plugins, willy nilly, it would allow those plugin creators (if off a shade nature) to run code in the playerā€™s studio to destroy their work, or do something more malicious which enables them to steal the place.

At least how it currently is, you have the choice to update and are able to check the source of it when you manually update it.

2 Likes

Iā€™d like a way to find out, via script, whether the plugin has been updated. That way I can show a pop-up box if thereā€™s an update to the plugin I make.

1 Like

If only you can do it Via script like in the plugin you have a variable of the plugin version then you send an Http request to see if the plugin version the user has is equal to the latest plugin version.

Ex:

If I were to make a plugin I would have a Variable that would say ā€œlocal PluginVersion = 0.9ā€, then it sends it to a server you own or maybe roblox could make some sort of API to check it, and if the latest matches with the one the user has then it doesnā€™t update if so then it updates its self.

I think a ā€˜plugin.Versionā€™ or ā€˜plugin.IsUpToDateā€™ or SOMETHING like that would be sufficient.
[strike]Can you use AssetService on plugins?[/strike] Nope.

We need some way to access plugin version via script.

Bump, was about to make this topic.

Could potentially be a setting that defaults to off to alleviate DataStores fears.