Avatar page is very intensive on CPU

This has been tested on Chrome only. I have yet to test it on other browsers, but if someone would be willing to relay their results that’d be awesome.

Having the Avatar page open will increase CPU usage of the Chrome task rather drastically (from an average of about 1.2% on my PC to closer to 15%-20%). I just got done testing if this was the case should 3D avatar previews be disabled and the issue was still evident, despite the 2D avatar preview being active.

To repro, open the avatar page and start changing your avatar a whole bunch (Note: I don’t know if changing is exactly the cause). Leave the page open and monitor the CPU usage of your browser task. It will increase.

26 Likes

Checked with firefox and chrome and didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary there. Could you have an extension that’d be causing that? Also It seem normal for me to see cpu usage go up to around that when my mouse is moving around somewhat quickly in a browser window.

1 Like

Is this on the default tab? Are you doing any clicking around? Any specific features you’re using?

1 Like

I wondered what the sudden high CPU usage by chrome was. Possible this?

Usually it happens after I’m compulsively changing my avatar to test every possible hat combo for a certain theme, so about 50+ changes to my avatar in total.

I do not. I generally watch extension activity and disable the ones that might be intensive if I don’t need to use them.

1 Like

A bit of a bump / followup to this. I’m having the issue again.

e9eb7455fed2e5ff5ddd8e1ce143bf00275eb13b.png

This time, I paid attention to what may be doing it, and it may be the fact that I generally open catalog items and get 3-4 tabs of items in the 3D view, even though my avatar may not be 3D.

In this case, I think it may be a good fix to pause the 3D view when the tab is unfocused.

Can’t confirm, and the laptop I tested that on is a quad core Celeron N3150 at ~600 MHz
7758c856cbcadf200c1df34ec30e74440b6faa5c.png

That’s why I’m thinking it’s the other tabs I have of various avatar items. I have studio open at the same time usually (to look at my avatar in a game environment) but I wouldn’t think that’d bar chrome.

A late followup to this issue, because I’m still noticing it. I’ve found out that it’s likely related to having a lot of items on screen.

I have QUITE a few Hat accessories, and I see the CPU spike when I scroll down to the bottom. Can anyone validate this for me?

I can confirm that the Avatar page gets an insane CPU spike when using 3D model rendering, although that may just be my crappy old CPU being over a decade old.

2 Likes

I am having a issue with the avatar page aswell. After a few seconds of having it open Google Chrome has a major spike in CPU usage. I’ve only had this issue for the past couple months. Before that it was completely fine. I’ve disabled all extensions hoping that would help but it had no effect.

2 Likes

I fixed my issue by reenabling hardware acceleration on Google Chrome. Hope this helps others.

4 Likes

I can confirm that this has happened in the past to me as well.

Is this the only solution? I’d rather not have it enabled

2 Likes

I cant reproduce this, it’s no higher than it is with the Avatar Editor page closed

That seems to be the only solution as of now.

1 Like

This issue seems to be related to the Google Chrome browser and in your screen shot you’re using Microsoft Edge.

It’s Chromium based. I got sick of Google and moved to Firefox though, still no issues.

1 Like

It’s kinda annoying since I run various VMware virtual machines, and also, Roblox Studio runs Lua VMs, which I believe uses hardware acceleration as well, although I don’t know exactly how it works.

Off topic, but I have a feeling this is going to happen a lot more soon.

2 Likes

umm i have this issue dont know why but the 3d view just kills my cpu

same happens on google tried cleaning cache and cookies and still the same i dont know why