Change Material and Reflectance of Clothed Characters

User Issue/Story:

As a developer, I find that my games lack a sense of detail when editing the appearance of the player.

Proposal:

I propose that a feature to edit the Reflectance and Material of the player and each of their limbs be added. We currently have the ability to edit the player’s transparency, resulting in both their clothing and their limbs being affected. What I want is for us to be able to edit the player’s reflectance and material without affecting the clothing.

Below is an R15 character model (left) and R15 rig (right), both using Buttermilk for the skin color and plastic as their material.

Examples of what I request:

Left = Slate material currently, Right = Slate material if my request were implemented
e56c5c5113620e3ff8527f5883e41ea9fb7aa1cd.png

Left = 0.625 Reflectance currently, Right = 0.625 Reflectance if my request were implemented

13 Likes

Why do you want to change the player body’s material and reflectance? It’ll be hard to argue your case in a meeting if it’s unclear why you’d need to do either of those.

I am currently working on a game where players will have super powers, it’s difficult to allow the customization of the player when you’re simply limited to hair, color, clothing, and accessories. I find that it’d be more in depth if depending on the power the player’s material changed. For example, my game has a power where your skin turns into steel, it’d be ideal to have the player’s skin slightly reflective or of the metal material.

10 Likes