Change the position of control and jump pad for tablet?

For tablet, I’ve found my GUIs fit nice and comfortably, but the control pad and jump pad are slightly to far to the sides. How would I go about changing the position of these pads to shift them in slightly?

I understand I will have to change my GUIs for phone, however for tablet I ideally want to keep this look.

3 Likes

These are just labels in a special ScreenGui that is placed in the player’s PlayerGui. You can find out the exact hierarchy of these buttons and just wait for them to exist, then move them (+ move them whenever they change, since changing control modes will reset their position AFAIK).

Moving them is hacky in two ways:

• Your code will break whenever Roblox updates the structure of the control ScreenGui (i.e. changes names/ancestry of elements).
  • It breaks the default that mobile players will be used to since 90% of mobile games on Roblox don’t touch the position of these buttons.
1 Like

An alternative to what @buildthomas suggests is to take the default movement scripts and modify them yourself so that the control gui positions are different.

You still have to consider that players will have an unfamiliar experience if you do that.

Also consider that those buttons are placed such that they can easily be pressed with your thumb. If you move those buttons towards the center of the screen or to the top of the screen, then players can no longer naturally press the buttons as if they were holding a gamepad. Depending on the game, that might be okay for the jump button, but could be really bad for the movement stick that players use all the time.

2 Likes

Alternatively, it’s unintuitive for the buttons mobile users are so used to to suddenly be moved somewhere else. Consider making your GUI work with the buttons in those places.

3 Likes

Okay, thanks for all your feedback. I’ll play around with your suggestions, and then decide if I should shift them or not.

Alright, so with all your advice, I decided to modify the GUIs slightly for tablet so that they fit comfortably on the screen, and mean the control pads don’t have to be adjusted:

5 Likes