Change the R15 animations to be motion captured

What do you guys think about replacing the current R15 animations with motion captured versions? They’d be alot more lifelike and responsive. Alot of new games have their characters mo-capped and it looks great.

10 Likes

What does it mean to have an animation be motion-captured? Do you mean real people?

Yes I think he means that they hire people to use motion capture suits to record poses.

It’s not a bad idea to be honest

Don’t see the point. Maybe if you have dynamic meshes where the mesh surface bends corresponding to the skeleton, but not when you have only 15 loose joints. I think you can achieve good animations without and I don’t even know if they want life-like looking animations at all (they may prefer them to be a bit cartoony / have another theme).

EDIT April 29: Actually I’m going to retract this post, I’ve seen mocap animations that look nice. Just gotta make sure that the creases don’t go out of hand.

1 Like

Given the difference in anatomy between roblox characters and real people I can’t imagine that the movements of real people would translate well to roblox characters. Sure, I realize you can define each of those points on a mocap suit pretty flexibly but I still don’t picture it translating well when one character has COMPLETELY different proportions and only 15 joints.

After seeing the new Mage Animation Pack I had to bump this. I can’t believe how lazily animated the Mage Pack looks.

Here’s Mixamo animations imported as R15 animations. They look alot better.

1 Like

Videos for reference:

Mage:
https://gfycat.com/GrouchyShabbyBird

Mixamo:
https://gfycat.com/SillyImmaculateBeauceron

5 Likes

Wait how.

The blending of those animations. What.

2 Likes

support

Looks good. They could be sold as additional animation packages. But im guessing that motion capture is quite expensive, so roblox probably wont use it.

They can use already-recorded animations, so they don’t need to purchase their own mocap hardware – not sure this is the blocker.

I think it would be cool but people likes the animations we have right now, to make this a thing the animations has to be re-made. There may be a group of people that will not like this, for me it is a good idea. but will all people like to get their animation packages changed?

This request is for just the default animations – not all animation packs.

Hm, it would honestly feel unfair since it would look way better than the others that cost Robux. Might be fair if it becomes another pack but, as default without changing the others? I don’t know.

Mocapped animations wouldn’t really fit in an animation pack. Animation packs are customization of animations, whereas mocapped animations are a paradigm shift, and not really a customization.

It won’t be unfair to animation packs because its apples vs oranges. Animation packs are worn to accomplish a certain look and not because they necessarily look better than the default. If I want to play as a ninja it would make perfect since for me to use the ninja pack instead of mocapped animations.

Good point, so it would be like an unique animation system separated with the ones we have is what you meant? if is in that way sounds great.

Yes, the mocapped animations would just provide a decent default so R15 would be more appealing, but users would still be empowered to develop a theme for their avatar with animation packs.

in that case, i’ll support.