Connection from Server to Client sometimes just messes up and results in consistent lag issues

This bug causes the connection between the server and a client to be unstable. It’s not just the server, as a client can reconnect with the same server and the issue will be gone. Multiple clients can be connected to the same server, and some might have the issue while others don’t. Reconnecting to the server can cause the issue to come back, if it was not present before. The bug creates high ping and ping spikes when the server gets busy.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? Sometimes, in the video it happens every other server, but testing it 10 mins ago it took me like 15 servers until I got the issue again, I then tried another server on a different computer and got it first time.

• So I captured a video of this. These are the steps I took and what to look for in the video

1. First I joined a VIP server for my game found here: https://www.roblox.com/games/598947721/HCBB-9v9#!/game-instances.
  2. The ping was already pretty bad, but when I hit the ball, control of the ball is given to the server and is moved by simply updating the CFrame of the anchored ball.
  3. When the ball is moving in the air, it stutters extremely badly, as the server is not sending data to the client at a decent rate, and the ping shoots up.
  4. I then Teleport to a Batting Cage server, which is the 3 players max Reserver Server.
  5. You will notice at this server, the ping is at a decent value and the ball doesn’t stutter when hit.
  6. I then switch to another Batting Cage server. This server has the same issues as seen in the first server (the VIP one). The ball stutters when hit, and the ping shoots up.
  7. I then teleport to yet another Batting Cage server. This one operates just like the 2nd one, the ping stays consistent and the ball doesn’t stutter when hit.
  • In the Dev Console I show the script activity of the server script that is moving the ball during hits. Also the loss in FPS during swinging and pitching is just due to the recorder, but the issue of the ball stuttering after being hit is present without the recorder.
  • Where does the bug happen (www, gametest, etc) Tends to happen at any place I play at, but at random. Noticeable at this place: https://www.roblox.com/games/598947721/HCBB-9v9#!/game-instances

• For graphics bugs, it is sometimes helpful to know your system specs, especially graphics card. I’m using a MacBook Pro running El Capitan with Intel HD Graphics 4000. Also occurs on my Windows 10 Laptop, HP ENVY m7 Notebook, Intel® Core™ i7-5500U CPU.

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke. I would say it started like a month ago, with it getting real bad this past week.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it. I really wish I could provide more information, but I don’t really know what to look for. The Micro profiler doesn’t show any noticeable issues and the Dev Console stuff all look normal.

3 Likes