Control over moon phase

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to change the moon phase from anything aside from the full moon. Edit: This aside from changing the texture. Getting the moon phases correct could be important for historical simulations, and for general aesthetic. Edit: It is impossible to change the position of the moon relative to the sun required for realistic moon phases.

I want to thank whoever made what we currently have astronomically accurate! Because it used to have the full moon out at the same time as the sun. Here’s a picture of the awesome new sun/moon relationship at noon

If Roblox is able to address this issue, developers would be able to add more attention to detail in every project they make involving day/night cycles and celestial bodies.

8 Likes

You should be able to swap out the moon with any phase you please by changing the MoonTextureId in the Sky object, yeah? Looks like the only thing to keep an eye on in terms of moon phases is the fact that it looks like the moon is mirrored compared to the original texture.

2 Likes

Moon phases in order to be realistic require the positioning of the moon from the sun relative to the earth to change as well as the texture change.

The texture thing knocks down one of the two.

But then, this gibbous texture I quickly threw together would not fit the current position for the moon

2 Likes

Ah, I see, and judging by the properties we have, everything that can change the position of the moon also changes the position of the sun.

The closest I could think of as something which could work is hiding the real moon, and creating a fake one out of a beam to get that same bright glow in the sky, but that would have some complications such as stars seeping through the moon and the fact that the moon would be noticeably moving as the player moves through the map. Not quite the best solution.

3 Likes

We do have GeographicLatitude through the properties of Lighting. When it’s set 0, the sun and moon will be completely opposite of each other.

An astronomical accuracy feature sounds very idealistic, this could benefit some horror games.

4 Likes