Deprecating Comments for Marketplace Items

And we’re just supposed to believe this? I’m still waiting on those “rebuilt” forums.

37 Likes

Frankly Roblox are very bad at keeping their promises and keeping the trust and respect of developers and prominent users of the platform. I do wish they would actually ask the users of the platform before choosing to deprecate useful features for no reason other than because they can or because they refuse to do any basic kind of cost analysis or moderation.

16 Likes

I’m glad this is happening in some way - the feedback is crucial but there needs to be a spam management/prevention system in place beforehand. I understand most UGC creators are creating social Discord channels for this, however, the site itself should also be a go-to for this feedback.

Hopefully we can see an improved change in the near future!

6 Likes

Devils Advocate they only said they would investigate options nothing about implementing said options. Planning to Introduce is a different statement then we’ll be investigating options.

10 Likes

Rip to the “/e free” era and the other copypasta over the years, you will be missed.

9 Likes

/e free
/e robux

R.I.P
thank god they stopped spreading.

8 Likes

You could keep them open but before sending send it to a ROBLOX bot or mod and they can review if it violates Roblox ToS and if it dosent it can be approved for sent

You may be thinking this would keep us more busy and hard to get other stuff done but you could just use ROBLOX moderation bots?

7 Likes

Comments will be missed but i understand the decision

8 Likes

I cannot speak for UGC creators, but this is a really good change.

The majority of the time, Roblox marketplace comments have been used to promote scams & spam/copypasta. Marketplace comments are an amazing way to gain feedback on the items you upload and to engage with the community & what they want from you. (ex. “this [item] is so cool!” “can you make [item] in [color]?” “you should make [item]!”) From my point of view, I haven’t seen many comments on items that uses it for its intended purpose, especially on items made by smaller creators. Sometimes they receive no comments.

Its been known that Roblox is changing up how group shouts work by using Guilded. Wondering if they come up with a system for the now-removed marketplace comments by integrating the service more for the community to give feedback in many new ways.

But hopefully these new “effective ways” that Roblox has mentioned will prove successful for all creators and the community.

9 Likes

can you guys at least archive them? some tiny button where you can click it and see all of the comments on the item pre-deletion. you’re deleting a lot of history by doing this, but eh, i doubt you care about such ““trivial”” things when measures like this are being taken in the first place. carry on then lmao

11 Likes

does that mean i won’t be able to see billy or “/e free” anymore?

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

THEY REMOVED THE ABILITY TO SPEAK NOOOOOOOOO

9 Likes

As much as I liked the comments section, I understand. However, there must be another way of gaining user feedback, and likes or ratings won’t cut it.

5 Likes

This is a terrible decision. I don’t care if there were bots or kids spamming ‘/e free’; I’ve seen hilarious stuff on many items, and that history is just gone in the blink of an eye.

It’s crazy how people are replying, praising Roblox and acting like it’s such a positive change. It’s not lol
This company is so out of touch with the average user that’s crazy bots and “/e free” spams weren’t even that common

You guys could have at least archived it instead of using the nuclear option. Horrible changes are always announced by the official Roblox profile too, which is a funny trend that you guys tend to follow

18 Likes

Archived it where exactly? It’s confusing and cluttering to leave them on the page, not to mention they are an added layer of technical complexity; there are databases behind the scenes on everything with dependencies on each other. Keeping these for no reason is not free, or trivial. Back up the ones you care about now, they’ve given a grace period.

8 Likes

I have no problem with the removal of comments (since they were of practically no use anyway; except for spam comments, or random discussions under private developer-assets). Ideally though, comments should have been archived in their current state in the API as to avoid “removing history” of some historic comment chains, removing all trace of comments isn’t ideal albeit not critical either.

I am, however, quite concerned of the use of the word “deprecating” in the title of this post, deprecation in the past has always referred to a feature remaining a part of the engine although highly discouraged for-use, this topic however states that comments are being entirely removed which leads to ambiguity on what Roblox’s stance on “deprecation” truly is. Should I be worried that Roblox’s definition of “deprecation” now includes the removal of the feature entirely?

16 Likes

so they’re removing it because it costs money. that makes sense for this company lmao

5 Likes

Impressive this is the takeway you’ve invented from that. They’re removing them because they have complex technical interactions with other parts of the platform, don’t work for their intended purpose, and are not worth the maintenance while they explore other solutions.

4 Likes

I don’t really mind this update, I do find it unnecessary to have them still, but I still also like them I enjoy seeing what a community has a say on a thing.

I’ve seen Roblox start to remove ways the community can communicate with one and another efficiently. I just wish, Roblox can bring back the forums and hopefully make it work better, so that way it wouldn’t shut down again.

2 Likes

they could have bothered making a comments archive similar with the forum one here

7 Likes

I’m not a software or technical engineer, but I don’t think it’s really that difficult to keep comments on a website for virtual items. Also they never mentioned any technical problems so idk what you’re talking about (unless I’m blind and misread the post)

14 Likes