Deprecating Comments for Marketplace Items

or… hear me out… you could wait until you have a system for feedback finished and THEN push out this update… Ik that might sound crazy but most companies wait until they finish something instead of saying “in the future” :smiling_face:

in the mean time I have a few ideas

What about a filter that lets the creator block words like “/e free” or “robux” or whatever else gets spammed?

as for removing comments can I ask why? is there something preventing yall from making comments read only?

22 Likes

The Developer Forums is the replacement. It has the important categories, and is built on modern software helping to keep a lot of the junk down.

Comments are likely to be replaced with Guilded integrations. Roblox has been slowly making strides to integrate Guided into the main website, but they’re playing it very carefully.

5 Likes

I 100% think that this is a right decision. Marketplace comments have lost their purposes a long time ago and now as said only served as a spam source.

3 Likes

This is run by an independent user. Roblox has no obligation to maintain a database indefinitely. Back up what you care about.

Things are never removed for no reason, there’s obviously underlying technical reasons for why they’re removing these before a different solution is ready.

6 Likes

I quite liked having the comments there, it was cool to see what people thought of my work, if they could find my inspiration, etc. I also enjoyed seeing peoples avatars from there and how they were using my items. I think an auto-delete filter to remove spam would be way better than straight up removing comments on catalogue items.

5 Likes

oh my goodness you are so right we need this right now

3 Likes

What about the newer review system on the Creator Store, or is this specifically talking about the Avatar Marketplace? If so, what makes the newer review system safe? If it is safer, why can this same new review system also be applied to marketplace items?

In addition to the review system, I would love to see replies to reviews (even if replies are locked to the creator only, though I would prefer if anyone could reply and have creator replies be highlighted).

Either way, I’m very curious as to what the plan is.

3 Likes

/e free

Wouldn’t it be more logical to come up with a solution to prevent spam instead of removing comments?

Please do not remove it, add a spam filter.

I am very curious. What could be better than comments?

7 Likes

As much as I love the history that old and obscure comments held over a decade ago, they’ve become nothing but sludge. Hate speech, slander, scams, all of which can’t be removed by the creator unless they report those comments and wait for a moderator to wipe up the mess.

Even in the best case scenario where you’re somehow getting nothing but kindness and constructive feedback, anyone who has more than a handful of items is dealing with the ratelimit. If I want feedback on my work, I need to load up five items at a time, and wait a few minutes before loading up the next batch. Over and over and over. It’s like checking every mailbox in the neighborhood to see if you got anything!

Me and many other creators closed the comments on our items ages ago. At a certain point, it just isn’t worth it. Hoping whatever comes next is accessible, organized, and easy to clean.

5 Likes

I agree you. But with a spam filter, comments can serve their real purpose. You can find out what users think about your item. spam filter is better than removing it.

3 Likes

Finally! No more spam! No more /free! Marketplace Comments are becoming more of a spammy place, and they’re finally gone!

YES!

I wan’t to know: Will Group Comments also suffer the same fate?

1 Like

How exactly would you add a spam filter? It’s possible, but how exactly would you do it?

Why wouldn’t scammers just have multiple accounts and send the same message on multiple items at once

1 Like

Maybe there can be a “comments/questions” box for players to submit that’s private to just the developer. Feedback is valuable!

4 Likes

This is very easy for roblox. Just like in-game chat.

2 Likes

In-game chat is similar on how I described on how it could be exploited.

Just use alternate accounts and spam to yours heart content!

1 Like

An update that I knew was coming eventually, considering comments on games were removed years ago, and then comments were removed on Roblox-created items, and Developer items such as models, Decals, and Audio.

Of course, if Roblox’s moderation had been better, and the filter more reliable, it wouldn’t have come to this, but it is what it is. Let’s hope Roblox doesn’t decide to ignore reports on comments that violate the community standards, just because they’re going away.

2 Likes

This feature should have been eliminated some time ago. They haven’t served their actual purpose in years.

1 Like

Nice to see useless features being removed to clean up the platform, soon to be replaced by something better!
Really excited for the future feedback feature.

Speaking of feedback… Might as well fix the moderation system eh?

1 Like

Adding onto this. Obtaining feedback from my players should not be only possible on the platform by purchasing a group or creating an off-site Discord server.

I have said this for years, but I can 100% see success in a system that operates similarly to Reddit, where players can upvote comments made by others, and comments automatically sort by number of upvotes. This, along with requiring age-verification to have the ability to comment, would filter spam and allow me to obtain much-needed feedback from players again!

2 Likes

No offense but you guys have said the EXACT same thing about forums, game comments, player point leaderboards etc, and have never lived up to your promises once. I’ll just assume they will get booted and have no proper replacement, since clearly your main philosophy to fixing literally anything on the platform is to just remove it instead of finding proper solutions. Great job once again, ROBLOX

15 Likes