Do Not Disturb for website chat

When someone sends you a chat on the Roblox site, it makes the loudest notfication sound and there’s currently no way to disable either the chat or the notifications. This is very annoying when I’m playing a game or developing or doing pretty much anything where I do not want to be distracted. Please add an option to mute the chat sound or to disable chat altogether.

Thanks

40 Likes

cc @Caelestene since this was mentioned in August 2016:

Support. It’s needed.

Curious, can anyone chat you, or only friends?

Seems to me that if you’re getting spammed you might have more friends than you actually care to have.

Only friends. I’m at 200 but don’t want to unfriend people for messaging me. That’s mean

3 Likes

You wouldn’t unfriend people on e.g. Discord because they DM you. You would turn down the notification volume.

2 Likes

I have under 50 friends and there are a handful of people who continually use chat to ping me even though I’ve told them not to.

I’m not disagreeing with the message of this thread. I didn’t mean to come off this way. However, I am fairly certain that the Roblox staff have talked about this in particular before. They limited friends and as such they added features and limitations like these because of how they want people to interact with their friends.

I, for one, have a problem with my cousins who happen to play Roblox…

2 Likes

Try having a coworker on the chat team :wink:

17b2d0f1f6c904ef3cff7a6d55e703b2c8eb5bf1.png

6 Likes

just now realizing this is why he won’t add me on Roblox #ChatTeam

5 Likes

Actually, I’ve been thinking about something one step further from this.

On platforms such as Xbox, Discord, Steam and more, we see the option to not only go on “Do Not Disturb” which would mute all notifications but to actually “Go invisible”. Now I think this would be extremely useful for people who want to appear offline but are still online and have full access to the site. You’d be able to play games and work in studio without people seeing the little gear or game icon on your profile.

Was going to write something up about it but then saw this.
What are people’s thoughts on this? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That would be ideal, but really the main problem here is that the chat widget is sort of forced upon developers (and older users, I guess) while the majority of them (AFAIK) do not want to use it or have it shown at all. I would be content already with just having an off-switch to notifications as per OP, if they are able to realise that more quickly.

I’m suggesting both @berezaa’s suggestion and perhaps mine as a further thing. It’s not an alternative, more of a supplement.

1 Like

Both would be great. :slight_smile:

Sure would. :smile:

Absolutely. Going invisible or “Appear Offline” would also be cool.

3 Likes

As a temporary fix, you could make a chrome extension that just removes the chat-container div, right? I don’t know much about chrome extensions and javascript but could you also remove the code that controls the chat too?

I looked into that, but as far as I found it’s not possible to selectively snip out parts of a site’s javascript (responsible for sound notifications/etc). What would be neat is if someone could trick the web chat into thinking “who can talk with me” is set to “no one” but have it remain on for forums/groups/etc.