Don't Change Scaling Mode During Scaling

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to resize parts with fine camera movement

Holding Ctrl or Shift while resizing a part will alter the way resizing occurs. However, holding down shift also allows you to move your camera slowly. Because of this, I often forget I can’t hold down shift while resizing and end up using uniform scaling to resize when I hadn’t intended to.

My proposed change is that the method of resizing should not change while in the middle of resizing. So if I’m already resizing a part, and after that I begin holding down shift, the part should resize as if I’m not holding down shift, as I wasn’t when I started.

If Roblox is able to address my issue, it would improve my development experience by reintroducing a way for me to resize parts while maintaining fine camera movement.

11 Likes

Tbh, I actually like that it does this. I’ve gotten used to it and it helps me scale things quickly.

Necropost, but I really need this feature back in Studio.
It’s highly inconvenient to not use Shift-moving while resizing, and the fact that it checks for Shift-resize constantly is really annoying…

I literally cannot move while resizing, because the thing I’m resizing will drop out of camera. And I can’t use Shift to move slowly, because it will enable proportional resizing straight away…

3 Likes

I need this. This conflict with the shift key has been creating subtle alignment and precision issues when I’m building. If I fail to notice, it can end up affecting hours of work. I’ve resorted to writing a plugin that warns me when a part has been misaligned in order to mitigate it.

An option to disable the shift+drag mode entirely would be an acceptable alternative.

To reiterate, the issue is a conflict with the following actions, which can occur at the same time:

• Holding shift while moving the camera moves slowly with precision.
  • Holding shift while resizing scales the entire selection.
5 Likes

Significantly more people on the announcement topic for the new Lua draggers preferred this behavior (shift switching the scaling mode mid-scale) than the other way around IIRC. Any changes to this behavior would need to be setting-gated to avoid breaking workflows.

1 Like

Honestly scaling using the size and position values using simple math makes things a lot easier.