Implement a Captcha when buying limited items

It’d be more than mildly annoying if I was getting interrupted every time a new item came out. I’m typically not interested in items, and if I miss them when they first come out, I can always buy them later – I wouldn’t want to be notified for them. Limiteds are a different story though since I don’t have much of a window to get them. Notifications for item sales and notifications for limited item sales should be separate.

Item notifiers don’t discriminate against limited vs. regular item from what I’ve seen… lol

Surely bots still win in these situations since no matter what, a computer will always be faster than a human.

A bot can have a purchase request ready to go as soon as a timer expires on an item, rather than the additional time it takes to reload the page, click the buy button and confirm (With very limited items seconds can be crucial)

A bot can also react faster to a push notification than any user could, people already use item notifiers and still lose out to bots.

At the end of the day I don’t see how push notifications or timers would prevent botting, since they don’t address the underlying problem of the bot being able to perform actions faster than humans. Botters would still be rewarded with first picks at any new items that are released.

1 Like

I am suggesting that limited items be sold by ROBLOX for a certain amount of time (e.g. one minute, five minutes, or an hour). At the end of that time they will go on private sale so users can sell to other users. Bots have no advantage in this case because any person will have enough time to buy the item.

3 Likes

They could do it with push notifications. Those are off by default and already have individual options.

that’d be fine for limited items, but limited U items should still be stock-based

TO ANYONE SPEAKING OF CAPTCHA FOR MESSAGING BOTS:

Messaging bots don’t use the standard method of opening windows and typing in boxxes to PM users, it’s done by inserting a command code into the ROBLOX client (often on a game or group page), the code will go through all of the users on the page, and will use pre-designated commands to send messages to people.

It doesn’t go through the verification of a “Send” button by any means, which may render a captcha for messaging completely pointless for stopping bots.

I have a copy of this code somewhere, I was planning to upload it sometime to let ROBLOX see how it works (assuming they don’t know already.)

Obviously the back-end would reject the request to send a message if no captcha was completed for such an action, that’s not an issue.

1 Like

Increase the stock, add a 1 minute timer? That could work