Is this a bug or the mesh itself?

I found a weird coloring bug on this mesh part, not mine, but I got permission for it.

Reproduction is easy:
Step 1: Find a meshpart.
Step 2: Color it to blend other parts in workspace.
Step 3: Rotate the mesh randomly, until you see the defection.

Other Information:

• Lighting is the source of the problem, it causes weird coloring on daytime, shifting it to nighttime causes no problems.
  • This occurs only in a specific rotation of the mesh.

Question is if it is the mesh itself or an actual bug of the client.

Not enough context. What am I looking at?

Forgot to add up this detail: Both the mesh part and the parts surrounding it has exactly the same Color3. However, viewing upon the parts, they don’t match up.

Are other properties all the same?
Does the color match if you make the Parts into UnionOperations?

I’ll let you know tomorrow, it’s approximately 12 AM here. Yes, their properties are the same, but the only factor that touches it is rotation/orientation and the lighting.

lol i don’t want any friggin unions with the mesh parts, I’ll get a better view of it soon or even a file demonstrating it

Yea, I just want to know if Unions will match MeshPart’s color. There was some issue related to that, and it was caused by the Show Outlines property under Workspace (IIRC).

Well then, this will probably blow up the entire building operation, unless I trick with the lighting. :+1:

The mesh part has in fact a color that should match 97% of the building. The mesh is a curved inner corner.

Is the mesh part non-uniformly scaled, by any chance? I’m just wondering if it’s possibly related to non-uniformly-scaled meshes not always having correct surface normals.

That gotta be it, the size of the mesh is Vector3.new(13, 19, 17)… and I’m quite confused what is counted toward non-uniformly scaled mesh parts. :thinking:

Screenshots Test

Screenshot A: Stretched mesh part, bugged rotation, random size

Screenshot B: Squared mesh part, bugged rotation, 8x8x8

Screenshot C: Squared mesh part, bugged rotation, 2x2x2

Screenshot D: Squared mesh part, rotated once from original orientation, 2x2x2

Screenshot E: Stretched mesh part, rotated once from original orientation, random size

Conclusion

It is difficult to tell if the size matters, but there is a noticeable difference between larger mesh parts from smaller ones and also different rotation.

Can I get a background information of what’s going on here?

Edit: As a side note, the parts are resized evenly with whole studs, no decimals left. I also made a final test:

Screenshot of A, but with double digit decimals on each axis.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.