Make playing a game a requirement to comment on a game. [read last post]

[read last post: http://developer.roblox.com/forum/web-features/8603-make-playing-a-game-a-requirement-to-comment-on-a-game-read-last-post#94091 ]

Can’t see why people are allowed to have an opinion without trying a game out.

This would also be an anti spam tool.

It surely is easy to do seeming as the rating system requires you to play first, so why not this?

Probably suggested before, idk, it’s needed regardless.

6 Likes

How has no one thought of this already?
I cannot think of any flaws as you have no reason to comment on a game without playing it, have a thank-you.

Seems like a reasonable thing too add. I don’t see the comments changing anytime soon, so this could help.

Actually, I made a post about this a few months ago. You have to have an item or play the game to comment. But either way, I support.

Support

I support this, but what if they want to flame the game for no reason and enter a fake comment or say “abc” or something?

They can already do this? Now they just have to play the game first…

[quote] Would it be awesome if your game had its own message board that you controlled? Then you could make sticky posts for your manuals or whatever is important about your game. Users could make posts. Maybe we would have permissions that they could only post if they played the game. The main goal would be to give you, the game developer, more control and better feedback. Obvs this would replace the comment system.

^this is an idea open to feedback [/quote]

Would be better if you could configure this. I like receiving comments on my game, as it’s currently not publicly available and I get to see what people think before they play.

I definitely support this, maybe it will also reduce people advertising their games on my places :stuck_out_tongue:

What about paid games?
Users might want to ask in the comments if the game is worth buying access for.
There’s also the factor of inactive games.

Maybe these games wouldn’t have this feature? Or the game’s creator could toggle this feature on/off.

[quote] What about paid games?
Users might want to ask in the comments if the game is worth buying access for.
There’s also the factor of inactive games.

Maybe these games wouldn’t have this feature? Or the game’s creator could toggle this feature on/off. [/quote]

Considering half the people in paid game comments complain that all games should be free, I feel as if the rating system suffices for this.

So I took a few minutes to go back through a week’s worth of comments to show the severity of this problem.

None of the following kids played the game, because it’s payed access and you can see they don’t have the gold tick beside their name, yet they sure do have an out-of-the-clouds opinion to give.
In this spoiler, the reason why you should play a game before being allowed to comment:

2 Likes

This should not be too hard to implement because it already checks that you have played it to vote on it so surely you could reuse that functionality quite simply

You think this will stop the spam? I think not.

1 Like

Not stop it, but it would decrease it.

Like it would decrease those kids that go around to every game copy pasting ‘HURR DURR PLAY MY GAME FUN’ on every single top game on every single category.

But still, the reasoning behind this idea is more for fairer judgement on games rather than someone just coming along and saying ‘Crap game’ without even playing it.

Or, may I suggest a filter, and some sort of insignia, that would single out the comments from players who actually played the game, but only comments that were posted by said person AFTER playing the game? Still allow comments from everyone, but, by default, filter to only “People who played this game said this:”

Please explain why you don’t think this would cut down on the amount of unhelpful or irrelevant comments.

Look at it this way:
Currently you have users who browse the most popular games and hats on the site. They choose these assets because they know that they get a lot of traffic.

Lots of traffic == Lots of potential impressions.
Now of course, not everyone looks at the comments section. They know this. We know this. Everyone does. That doesn’t stop the spam because they know that other people will be in the comments spamming too!

So this isn’t really a problem for less popular or “cult followed” games. Sometimes these games use the comments section to let their users talk among each other (if the game is unreleased or paid access for example)
You can simply give these games the option to allow all comments and we’re good. They’re still an easy target for spam, but there’s not much incentive there.

Now let’s think about how much effort it takes to write a comment now. Right now, a user can create about six to ten alternate spam accounts (in order to bypass the comment timer) They can copy and paste a single spam message about six to ten times a minute.

This is a pretty simple and easy process to repeat, and takes minimal effort to perform.

Now if they had to play each game…
They would have to launch Roblox for every asset they want to spam on. This could take upwards 10 to 20 seconds (depending on the place and if we’re updating) to accomplish. Already, this cuts down on the efficiency of a spammer. This isn’t even including the NBC adverts they have to watch before they even join the game.

And honestly, who wants a comment from someone who hasn’t even PLAYED THE GAME. Whenever I see a comment like this:

I would disregard it completely. Like, that wasn’t even necessary.

Say what you want, but its fairly obvious that this would indeed cut down on spam on our assets immensely.

Hats, however, are a different story. I wouldn’t mind if comments were just disabled there all together. I can always make a forum post if I really wanted to talk about a hat (which currently happens already)

I do agreed on making it play before comment, and as people say, it won’t “stop” people from spamming, but it will make less spam, also there should be a option to show comments for the owner only, so people can only coment to the owner about improvments etc.

Making an upvote/downvote bot is much harder than making a comment spam bot. There are already blockers in place for the first one. So limit commenting to people who have actually played the game and are able to upvote/downvote.

This needs to happen as soon as possible. Even games which aren’t even on front page get hit with 200 different spam bot accounts spamming phishing links, in a row. This destroys community feedback and part of the community itself if they click them.

1 Like