Pathfinding needs an ignore list argument

Hello, this is currently an issue I am running into with no current way to fix it. The alternative in my game’s case is either to manually create a separate map to navigate on or find some other very hacky solution.

My AI makes use of a non-colliding part that can go through certain stuff without issue, problem is when pathfinding this part does not create a path that goes through without making certain blocks completely cannot-collide.

Another issue for this is given the Player’s can-collide nature, the AI might generate a path that goes around the player, even though for my case it needs to walk into the player to catch them. I’ve also had little AI battles(previously) where the AI when entering melee would prefer to simply try jumping on the player’s head to try and attack them, missing the point entirely. I managed to fix this by simply stopping at the node before the player but it still seemed unnecessary and still had issues with AI trying to move around each other.

One last issue is when it comes down to replication oriented areas. In an earlier case I had issues navigating around certain elements on the map simply because the map had multiple assets being selectively replicated around the same area. This is a very niche case but still a case that outright prevented me from working with AI in that specific project.

Ultimately the AI would seriously benefit from having a list of models or parts to ignore. It would allow us to do more with what the AI could and could not pick up on. It could even be used for potentially guiding AI through a certain path. There’s a lot of limitations caused by just this issue alone.

7 Likes