PSA: If your avatar ever breaks on RbxDev, here's a reliable fix

I think we’ve all ran into this at least once before, but I figured out why it happens, and the solution is fairly simple.

If you ever change your character, make sure you hold F5 on this page until it says “Final”:true in the JSON data, prior to logging in.

https://www.roblox.com/headshot-thumbnail/json?width=100&height=100&format=png&userId=(YOUR USERID)

This bug happens because the forum tries to use the image prior to it being finalized, and then it gets cached, locking it in place until you change your avatar again. If you finalize it prior, then there should be no issue.

You may have to visit your devforum profile page in order for it to load correctly, but it should work each time.

42 Likes

I feel like this should be a pinned thread

1 Like

@Lilly_S could help (if she thinks it should be pinned)

1 Like

Didn’t work for me, avatar’s still broken.

1 Like

After doing what CloneTrooper1019 said I had to log out of the forums and back in, then refresh the page with SHIFT-F5…

3 Likes

If someone else can confirm @ProfBeetle’s addition, I will pin this thread

1 Like

Try changing your avatar, the icon might be cached.

1 Like

@BlastB00M Can you please try both ProfBeetle’s and CloneTrooper1019’s suggestions and tell me if either works?

The same goes for anyone else whose avatar is N/A

1 Like

@northernnovice just told me that this method works and is reliable, so upon finally getting confirmation I have pinned the thread.

2 Likes

I was meaning to reach out to you about this awhile ago, but I forgot lol.

1 Like

This works very well. Thank you very much @Maximum_ADHD

2 Likes

At first it didn’t work even when it was true but after reading and doing what ProfBeetle suggested, it finally worked. Thanks :smiley:

2 Likes

It worked! Yahoo!

lilly_s told me about this and it went through fine – make sure you relog.

2 Likes

Neither way suggested in the actual post and the replies has worked for me :confused:

I’ve tried changing my avatar and logging out before I re-cached my avatar and it doesn’t seem to have worked.

1 Like

Turns out you just need to re log for a username change to apply.
Thanks!

1 Like

It did work though :smiley: Or did you use another method to do it?

1 Like

It worked when I changed my avatar to trigger the re-cache. But when I changed it back to what I wanted it didn’t seem to work.

The one currently displayed is not my actual character look on the main website.

2 Likes

Thanks! This worked!

2 Likes

We’ve made a website update so that the thumbnail will rarely be N/A. Previously the dev forum was requesting a 100x100 thumbnail size which didn’t exist anywhere else on the site, so it took some time to generate. Now we use the same one that’s loaded on the home page.

10 Likes