PSA: Reports of Acquisition Scams

Creators,

Roblox has received reports of a recent scam targeting Roblox Creators. According to the reports, the perpetrators contact Creators through third-party sites and offer to purchase their Experience(s). The perpetrators then allegedly supply Creators with purchase contracts that contain fake personally identifiable information. After the creators transfer the Experiences to them, they do not provide the promised payment.

Since these alleged scams are taking place on third-party sites, Roblox is unable to verify the veracity of the allegations and is unlikely to be able to assist defrauded Creators.

We encourage Creators to always be cautious and aware of the risks involved with conducting business outside of our platform.

Some steps to help protect yourself from such scams include:

• Be wary of deals that sound “too good to be true”.
  • Meet via video call.
  • Ask for government identification.
  • Ask for references.
  • Retain legal counsel to advise you.
  • Use an escrow account or other means to ensure you will receive payment before making any transfer.

If you or anyone you know has been a victim of this or any other scam, please do not hesitate to contact your local authorities. You may also wish to consult an attorney.

Remember, if it feels suspicious, then it probably is suspicious!

Thank you.

234 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

I was actually contacted by someone on March 31st, but I see no reason to sell my games that I put so much time and effort into!

I appreciate that you let us know about such scams.

32 Likes

Thanks for raising awareness around this!

Worth noting that scammers have ways of faking video calls now.

31 Likes

There have been scams going on where people will say your model has been taken by AI

21 Likes

always ask for vouches from mutuals or other well known developers before proceeding

16 Likes

One thing to help others is

Roblox nor any other official staff will never ever contact you through Discord or any other platform other than Emails

Make sure to check the senders Email address

13 Likes

Thank you for making us aware! :heart:

Sometimes Guilded, but they will have the STAFF tag:

13 Likes

They’ll also have the “administrator” badge on their profile on Roblox!

12 Likes

If I was asked by someone for government ID over something on Roblox I would decline and find someone else

THE BEST WAY TO STOP SCAMS IS TO ASK FOR PARTIAL OR FULL PAYMENT BEFOREHAND

16 Likes

I presume they mean someone is impersonating “companies” buying Roblox games (gamefam and voldex for example)

athough yeah… partial or full payment before!!

12 Likes

People please verify who you are speaking with prior and make sure they are reputable. Don’t do shady deals with people you never heard of or can’t verify who they are to be legitimate especially if they claim to be part of a company. Verify everything especially if its for a large amount of money and your experience is big.

10 Likes

did you even read the announcement

8 Likes

Yeah I was also wondering about that and sure that a lot of scams like that will happen.

But it will still be a problem if there is no a trade system because someone have to give first and have to trust the other one. Which can scam him.

If the seller gives his game or something that he worked hard, first, he really have to trust the other one
But give the money can be good too because that’s just money, but if the amount of money is a lot and he worked hard too to get it, it can be very hard to know who must give first…

And trading system can’t really work like that…

So the best solution is just to have trust as they said…

8 Likes

Wouldn’t rely on that, some job positions at Roblox don’t come with the Administrator badge

4 Likes

La gente no deja de decirme que quieren comprar mi cuenta de Roblox por ser parte del programa UGC

5 Likes

I’m sure you already know this, but that is definitely not allowed. I understand where they’re coming from-not many people get into the UGC program nowadays-but i thought people had already given up doing that…

Estoy seguro de que ya lo sabes, pero eso definitivamente no está permitido. Entiendo de dónde vienen, no mucha gente entra en el programa UGC hoy en día, pero pensé que la gente ya había renunciado a hacer eso…

2 Likes

lo se, me han hablado por todos los sitios y redes sociales, esto parece ciberacoso.

3 Likes

If you haven’t already, block them. They can do just fine without the ability to create UGC.

Si aĂşn no lo has hecho, bloquealos. Pueden hacerlo bien sin la capacidad de crear UGC.

5 Likes

Can confirm! Someone randomly joined and asked to purchase one of my games for zero reason. I declined them at the time assuming it was a scam, didn’t know this was a wide problem though.

3 Likes