Removing Support for Windows XP Users (Studio Only)

Hello Developers,

Unfortunately, Roblox will no longer be supporting the Windows XP Operating System. This change will take full effect in roughly one month from today. We highly suggest you update your Windows Operating System to the most recent version available if you haven’t already.

Please inform any other users you know who could be using Windows XP by forwarding a link to this post. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or the developer relations team directly.

Thank you,
Developer Relations Team

29 Likes

Is this to make updates easier?

1 Like

This change will definitely make it easier for engineers to keep track of important features on other Operating Systems.

oh no we’re all gonna get affected by this crazy update

42 Likes

Roblox should only support platforms that are currently being supported by the creating company to keep updates easier and stay current. So in my personal opinion Windows Vista should not be supported as Microsoft no longer supports it and it’s quite different framework than any version of Windows since. Just my two cents.

4 Likes

Windows Vista is to Windows 7 as Windows 8 is to Windows 10.

The what could have been; refined and done right the next time around (Win7 is mostly a reskinned Vista with performance improvements). I’m curious what percentage of users are still on Vista though.

2 Likes

I kind of agreed with FearMeIAmLag, but this was the question I had as well. I think quite a few people are still using Vista. If I had to throw a number at the wall and hope for it to stick, I’d say 20% of users are on Vista simply because it works really well on older computers and it isn’t XP. Just a wild guess. I know a lot of people (especially out of my friend group who doesn’t really have general access to cool computers like some others) who still use Vista, but the vast majority use Win7, and a good chunk use Win10.

1 Like

i have a feeling lots of players will be affected by this, theres still lots of places where windows xp is still present, like a library or someone could still be running windows xp.

3 Likes

About time, there’s no point to being tied down by a OS that’s been dropped for over 3 years.

5 Likes

This is a question from Kaykayko or however his name is from Discord.

Question

5 Likes

I used to work at the denver public library downtown and we updated to windows 7 over 3 years ago

2 Likes

Next, lets have Apple not hold us back from making ROBLOX performance better with a newer version of Lua ((something my boi told me shoutoutto dys)

2 Likes

It was not for much of my life that I used an operating system that was older than me. In fact, I don’t have any actual memories of the time before my home computer was replaced with a modern one. I think a lot of Roblox’s current audience cannot say the same. Windows XP was made in 2001.

I think if your computer is older than you then it’s time for an upgrade.

This question has been brought up before. The answer is that you shouldn’t be using 4+ GB of RAM. No one has ever provided a place where they were actually using that much RAM, so unless he or anyone else does, there’s no reason to change to 64-bit.

[Removed because no need for more drama]

Keep in mind that a game as large as Skyrim was 32-bit, which had plenty of RAM to sustain vanilla gameplay. 4 GB is a lot of memory.

That would be true if there were ROBLOX games approaching 4GB of RAM, but we don’t see any of those either. Even if we didn’t have a 4GB memory cap, you’d run into other bottlenecks first before being able to fully utilize that extra memory. A good habit to get into is researching and understanding something before posting about it instead of copying+pasting memes off the internet.

9 Likes

A game that uses 4GB of memory will probably look nice. It will also crash every medium to low-end device you try to load it onto. If it’s all textures, the loading time will be however long it takes to download a 4GB file.

Why bother limiting your userbase to high-end PCs?

6 Likes

No more playing roblox in school boys

9 Likes

[Removed because no need for more drama]

1 Like