[repro] OnTeleport does not report Failed and other states correctly

Note the enum values of TeleportState:

When the TeleportState of a player changes, Player.OnTeleport fires with that information. As such, when a player teleports, you’d expect it to fire with the following values in the following order:

• RequestedFromServer
  • WaitingForServer
  • Started / Failed
  • InProgress / Failed

When you teleport a player though, only the first one is fired. To repro:

• Create a place that allows teleporting to another place and prints out OnTeleport data, such as this uncopylocked place
  • Join on a test account and an account that has access to the developer console
  • Open the dev console to the server tab
  • Teleport the test account away
  • Notice that only RequestedFromServer is printed, and none of the others
  • Failed is also not returned/printed at all. Using the repro steps in this thread, teleporting to a ReservedServer does not generate Failed. Also, if regularly teleporting fails, Failed is not returned either (repro by re-publishing this place to your account, pressing 4, and noticing that Failed is not printed in the dev console)
10 Likes

I want to bump this because roblox recently updated their wiki page on this, but when I repro this, the exact same thing happens to me. Does anyone have any answers on this?

Link:
https://wiki.roblox.com/index.php?title=API:Class/Player/OnTeleport

1 Like

Can confirm. The same thing was happening to me, found this thread because I was searching for a solution.

1 Like

Wow… Was also searching to see if anyone else had this issue. Didn’t realize it dated all the way back to 2016. Wondering if Roblox can look at this?

3 Likes

If I remember correctly, it ended up being that all of the “missing” states just only fire on the client being teleported, which was/isn’t documented.

3 Likes

Oh thats… quite disappointing :confused:

Thanks for the info

2 Likes

Issues like this make me wish I took the initiative to start developing on other platforms. 4 years later and this is still undocumented. Even if it was documented, I would consider this to be a bug. The server should always know if a teleport was failed, no matter the reason.

3 Likes

This issue still occurs and prevents me from keeping players in the loop about their teleport status, other than “Teleport in progress!”.

It’d be nice to see this working again, so hopefully this will grab the attention of some engineers!

1 Like

This is still happening, crazy that 7+ years later this bug still exists.

I need to use .OnTeleport to track what state of teleporting a user is in to make sure all cases with a custom server system that I am creating are accounted for. Without this it will be much harder and more inconvenient to make sure everything is working fine. Through my testing, RequestedFromServer state replicates but no other state will replicate, making it impossible to track what state of teleportation a user is in.

I really hope that someone at roblox will see this and fix it.

2 Likes