Server Version

I would like a feature where it would show what version a server is.

When I’m making updates to my game while players are on it, I usually want to find the newest server so I can see how the update goes. That’s kind of tricky when you have players on your game. Now most people might just say “all you have to do is shutdown all your servers”, but if my game had lots of players on it, I wouldn’t want to shut it down because I wouldn’t be so sure if I can get all the players I lost back, or if it was a small update, I wouldn’t want to shut all the servers down just because I added a little button. So that’s why I think this would be a helpful update.

inb4"scriptable"

What

Not as a web feature.

Not as a web feature.[/quote]

“You can make your own website where you monitor your servers using HttpService and keep track of servers and their versions, and kick all players to shut those servers down that are outdated. I can make this in an afternoon but no way am I giving it to you; make it yourself.”

Well, that was

Anyway, I was requesting the same thing a long time ago, and I’m surprised it’s being asked for again! I made a decal explaining what exactly I meant. I was young back then and RBXDev didn’t exist so I did what I could to get the message across (though, no bridge was crossed). :emo-angst:

[center]

That would be nice, but the problem is - if an exploiter gets into a place which uses this which DOESN’T use FilteringEnabled…

workspace.Version = "FUCK ME" -- just an example

–> lots of people seeing “FUCK ME” on the site, parents reporting ROBLOX for not being kid safe, etc etc.
Representing the server version as the version number shown in ‘Version History’ though? That might actually work.

2 Likes

That would be nice, but the problem is - if an exploiter gets into a place which uses this which DOESN’T use FilteringEnabled…

–> lots of people seeing “FUCK ME” on the site, parents reporting ROBLOX for not being kid safe, etc etc.
Representing the server version as the version number shown in ‘Version History’ though? That might actually work.[/quote]

I think the OP’s idea was best, use Roblox’s already built in server versions. And it should only be visible to the owner, if the place owner thinks the players would benefit from the update then they could just shutdown all the servers.

A great feature to go with this would be a way to shut down all servers of a certain version.

[quote] [quote=“Jojomen56” post=77934]
Anyway, I was requesting the same thing a long time ago, and I’m surprised it’s being asked for again! I made a decal explaining what exactly I meant. I was young back then and RBXDev didn’t exist so I did what I could to get the message across (though, no bridge was crossed). :emo-angst:

[center]

[/quote]

Representing the server version as the version number shown in ‘Version History’ though? That might actually work.[/quote]

Just make that property non script-able. Solved.

Well, that was

[/quote]

I was being facetious/ knocking on the people who make those kinds of unhelpful comments

Well, that was

[/quote]

I was being facetious/ knocking on the people who make those kinds of unhelpful comments[/quote]

Example.

I think this could be really usefull. I also think it would be cool if there was a way for the web servers to refuse to let users join old servers if a certain game property is set. You push play and Roblox would ignore all outdated servers an make a new one even if there were open spots in old servers. Same for teleportation unless it was done to a specific server instance.