The ability to disable FallenPartsDestroyHeight

If you go too far from the origin you’ll end up with floating point errors anyways which result in some really weird behavior

Either way, this would still allow more playable area as floating point errors occur pretty far out, and centered around the world origin. You could argue allowing us to disable the destroy height alleviates the floating point issue by giving us more space close to 0,0,0 to work with.

2 Likes

This suggestion will greatly benefit my game.

-50k does sound like a lot but huge worlds such as my spaceship game are limited by this, i have stars at position (0, 0, 0) and objects such as space stations or asteroids that are at 75k studs away horizontally from the center.
It’s also very annoying to account for the case where a spaceship flies below the destroy limit, this could be easily avoided with an option to simply disable that void.

Together with the promised large worlds feature that is planned in the roadmap (64-bit Servers for Large Worlds), makes this idea very much worth considering.

4 Likes

There has still been no response on this from any engineers and it’s been nearly a year :pensive:

3 Likes

I imagine it’s pretty far down their priority list, given the physics and rendering improvements we’ve been getting as of late (and what’s still scheduled). I’d still like to see this, but I understand other features with more use-cases come first.

1 Like

As a workaround, it looks like setting workspace.FallenPartsDestroyHeight = 0/0 (AKA NaN) prevents the height comparison from working, effectively disabling this feature.

Obligatory disclaimer: You probably shouldn’t rely on this.

Good

20 Likes

I look thrilled

Seriously do hope this becomes an actual feature though, it’d be pretty useful.

2 Likes

I saw this got bumped so I’ll bring it up again

I remember the docs mentioning that parts under 50,000 studs dont physically render, unless thats not the case anymore, then again, this was posted two years ago so things can change

1 Like

They seem to render just fine for me - setting FallenPartsDestroyHeight to NaN using 0/0 and lobbing my character off the world works as I’d expect. I can see my character continue to deform as they move further from the world origin.

Are you sure that 50k figure isn’t some general render limit? I recall the maximum render distance was increased to 100k studs at the highest settings a few years back.

I’m just bumping this to keep it relative. There needs to be a setting to disable this, really really bad.

2 Likes

Also, I have an addition to this thread. Using a folder, and some hefty averaging, you can easily move the entire world to center it on the origin. That way, slowly the world doesn’t move away from the origin, wasting precious space in doing so. I recommend doing this every 60 seconds.

Another thing, using the Humanoid's scale properties, you can scale players down and therefore the entire game down, possibly.

Bump - if they don’t want to implement this then they can at least promote 0/0 to a feature.

5 Likes