Trello Proxy for Roblox

This project has now been removed as Roblox supports all supported request types via the RequestAsync method

Hi guys! This is my first topic on the DevForums, so I’d like to start by showcasing a utility I have developed in order to assist developers with communication to the Trello API.

Trello Proxy for Roblox

The official GitHub repository for this project can be found here.

Currently, Roblox’s HttpService only allows for GET and POST HTTP request methods. This makes accessing other HTTP methods, such as PUT, DELETE, HEAD, etc. impossible without the use of a proxy. Trello Proxy for Roblox enables these HTTP methods, allowing full access to the Trello API.

Getting Started

To get started setting up your own proxy, simple create an account at Heroku, and click the button below to setup a new application, and deploy this repository to it.

Deploy

You will also require your access token, which you can grab from your app’s config vars. This is a randomly-generated token, which can be found under your app’s Settings > Reveal Config Vars > ACCESS_TOKEN. This prevents unauthorised requests to your server.

Note that if you change your ACCESS_TOKEN, you will need to update it in any scripts that make requests to your proxy server.

Proxying Requests

Now that your server is up and running, you can start proxying requests. All proxy requests must be made using the POST method. Any GET requests will simply return a HTTP/200 status code, and a JSON file confirming that the server is operational.

To make a request to Trello’s API, simply substitute api.trello.com with yourapp.herokuapp.com. You will then need to set the X-Auth-Token header to your ACCESS_TOKEN and X-HTTP-Method-Override header to the method which you intend to request.

Example

POST https://yourapp.herokuapp.com/1/members/me/boards?key=your-trello-key&token=your-trello-token

Headers {
  "X-Auth-Token": "ACCESS_TOKEN",
  "X-HTTP-Method-Override": "GET"
}

This is a direct substitute for GET https://api.trello.com/1/members/me/boards?key=your-trello-key&token=your-trello-token.

See the official Trello API documentation for a full list of available methods.

Roblox

The ModuleScript provided in the /roblox directory enables easy access to your server. It provides shorthand functions for DELETE, GET, POST and PUT via the DeleteAsync, GetAsync, PostAsync and PutAsync methods.

The options.module and util.module modules should both be parented to the core trello.proxy.module module when inserting these to your game.

Note that the .lua file extension is omitted from the file name.

Ensure you set your application’s URL and access token in the options.module module.

{
  BaseUrl = 'https://yourapp.herokuapp.com',
  Token = 'YOUR_ACCESS_TOKEN',
}

Example Usage

The following code excerpt will return a table containing the id and name of all open boards for the authenticated user:

local TrelloAPI = require(script.Parent['trello.proxy.module'])
local Trello = TrelloAPI.new('trello-api-key', 'trello-auth-token')

function GetMyOpenBoards()
  local Boards = Trello:GetAsync('/1/members/me/boards', {
    fields = 'id,name',
    filter = 'open'
  })

return Boards
end

You can retrieve your Trello app token directly from this page. You can also generate an auth token from here.

</> with <3 by ClockworkSquirrel

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 1 minute. New replies are no longer allowed.