Update ROBLOX Message and other timestamps to local time

ROBLOX, since its creation, has displayed time stamps in messages inaccurately, based on a single timezone, CDT.

CDT includes the area of Chicago, and as far as I know, San Mateo isn’t Chicago, and I thought it would make sense for the messages to be in PST because that’s where ROBLOX’s timezone operates.

The timezone should be local to the user, I don’t care if it reads the time off of my computer, asks me what timezone I live in, embeds a cookie or whatever. I’d like this to display accurate time to my location so that I can actually take a glance at a message without thinking “darn, I don’t know when this was actually sent”

This screenshot has me messaging myself from an alt, and shows the timestamps clearly from my computer (real time) and ROBLOX (2 hours ahead).

Edit:
I want to include other timestamps around the website as posted by other people below:
-Group shouts and wall posts
-Forum posts
-Place update times (expanded with (#hours ago) time)
-Ban/Warning pages
-Asset versions (decals, models, shirts)

more?

10 Likes

Either that, or be consistent.

Forum time is PST. Group time is CST, I think PMs are CST too.

4 Likes

Some sites today display stuff like ‘30 minutes ago’, ‘6 hours ago’ and then just a date if been long enough. Take Twitter for example

It’s an easy elimination to this problem.

2 Likes

Won’t help very much if “3 hours ago” was really 1 hour ago, but is being displayed as 3 due to timzone issues.

2 Likes

I honestly never really liked that, because over time it’ll be “one month ago, one year ago, ten years ago, one millenia ago” etcetera.

I honestly think it’s dumb that, because some websites use that, mean I can’t know exactly what time I received a message; some people want to be organized like that.

1 Like

Most sites that do this have hover text that give you an exact timestamp.

This NEEDS to happen. The amount of times I’ve wondered if a group shout was recent or not is beyond belief.

Well delta time isn’t affected by timezones…

It would be nice if the individual Game pages had this for their Created and Updated fields.

I’ve honestly been on ROBLOX for 5-6 years now and I have never been able to accurately tell when something happened based on the timestamp. I think they have changed, or as someone said, they vary.

Let’s not forget one of the most important… asset/place versions

2 Likes

I once got a 3 day ban, and since i am not in CST, i had to look at my own watch to see the time, and count down, also the ban page needs some sort of countdown instead of just saying CST time.

1 Like

I made a post somewhere ages and ages ago about this (and local currency I think) and Becky edited my post with conf tags saying “it would be happening very soon” not sure if she meant local times or local currencies or both.