YouTube videos or MP4 in game

Now hear me out, ROBLOX already moderates Youtube videos that are posted onto a games page

. What i’m thinking is later on ROBLOX could try to find a way to implement the videos that are moderated into a ROBLOX game itself instead of having to use GIFs and audio.

The possibilities for this would be insane, cutscenes would be quicker for people and developers who have TV’s or little ads in their places it’d be a much quicker way to get things around to players while they’re in game. This would lower the possibilities of bad youtube video links being posted on the game desc because it’d already be moderated and would be in the game itself.
“If anyone would like to word this better or add anything to it please do.”

Thanks for reading!

55 Likes

Support.

Perhaps a time limit so mods won’t have to sit through a 20 minute video?

16 Likes

True.

2 Likes

Cutscenes and simple vector graphics animations are much better done in-engine using camera tweening and SurfaceGuis respectively. The remaining usecase, things like live action video, offline rendered animations, etc. are really niche and most likely not worth it for us to implement video rendering support for. In addition, you have to consider the network bandwidth implications, since not all users have 200 Mbps internet with no cap. What about mobile users playing on 3G, who pay by the gigabyte or only get 3 or 4 a month?

16 Likes

You got a point. Possibly have it so it works for people who have a supported platform for it. Most people on PC are able to watch YT quite well, including Xbox. If they get only 3 or 4Gs a month on a phone especially they shouldn’t be using it for large games that would most likely use the feature. Games like Vehicle Sim are Data eaters. My guess would be that the developer would use them for big games that are mostly meant for PC/Xbox. It wouldn’t even have to be Youtube videos, maybe it could be a MP4?
I also understand that ROBLOX wants to stick with being available for all platforms, but ROBLOX is still very limited with mobile as well, they’re not the most powerful devices after all.

2 Likes

Thanks to @Auhrii or this. "I have a suggestion for that in-game YouTube suggestion that you put up: only have the videos run if (a) there’s sufficient bandwidth and (b) the player isn’t on a mobile device - PC and console only. " End quote. He was kind of redundant but it’s a good addition to the concept.

Remember this is just something to think about really.

1 Like

I don’t think there are that many players that choose to play Roblox on 3G. It already eats up data like crazy. Most people connect to wifi then play.

9 Likes

I really wish we had more built-in tools to make cut-scenes easily if this is the answer to this. I think I suggested MovieStudio before (This was old forum software Kunena rip times) but it didn’t seem to carry over.
An advanced built-in plugin that would allow for easy camera manipulation, GUI’s on-top, sound and camera effects.

My MovieStudio idea was basically a separate program (similar to SFM was what I had in mind) in which you could use any ROBLOX asset and there would be a main full timeline view. The program would be entirely focused on creating cut-scenes and movies inside of the ROBLOX engine.

5 Likes

They showed it for a hackweek project!!

12 Likes