2 Joint 2 Limb Inverse Kinematics

So I am very unfamiliar with IK, however, I am getting a grasp. How would I go about adding another limb?

This is the only code I changed and it works fine except the goal part is at the joint I do not want it to be at. How do I fix this?

Code:

local workspace		= game:GetService("Workspace")
local storage		= game:GetService("ReplicatedStorage")
local runService	= game:GetService("RunService")

local goalPart		= workspace:WaitForChild("GoalPosition")
local shoulderPart	= workspace:WaitForChild("ShoulderPosition")
local upperArm		= workspace:WaitForChild("UpperArm")
local lowerArm		= workspace:WaitForChild("LowerArm")
local grapple = workspace:WaitForChild("Grapple")

local solveModule	= storage:WaitForChild("SolveIK")
local solveIK		= require(solveModule)

----

local SHOULDER_OFFSET		= CFrame.new(1.5, 0.5, 0)
local VECTOR3_UP			= Vector3.new(0, 1, 0)

----

runService.Heartbeat:Connect(function()
	local shoulderCFrame = shoulderPart.CFrame * SHOULDER_OFFSET
	local goalPosition = goalPart.Position	

local upperV3 = VECTOR3_UP * upperArm.Size
	local lowerV3 = VECTOR3_UP * lowerArm.Size
	local grappleV3 = VECTOR3_UP * grapple.Size

local planeCF, shoulderAngle, elbowAngle, otherelbow = solveIK(shoulderCFrame, goalPosition, upperV3.Y, lowerV3.Y, grappleV3.Y)
	local shoulderAngleCFrame = CFrame.Angles(shoulderAngle, 0, 0)
	local elbowAngleAngleCFrame = CFrame.Angles(elbowAngle, 0, 0)

upperArm.CFrame = planeCF * shoulderAngleCFrame * CFrame.new(-upperV3 * 0.5)
	lowerArm.CFrame = upperArm.CFrame * CFrame.new(-upperV3 * 0.5) * elbowAngleAngleCFrame * CFrame.new(-lowerV3 * 0.5)
	grapple.CFrame = lowerArm.CFrame * CFrame.new(-upperV3 * 0.5) * elbowAngleAngleCFrame * CFrame.new(-lowerV3 * 0.5)

end)

Thanks!

How would I make this R6 Because I Don’t Really See Many Posts?

It isn’t bad, it’s just older.

What am I supposed to do in this situation?

What is the issue, you gotta give context instead of just showing an image and saying “What am I supposed to do in this situation?”

Sorry, I’ve fixed the issue. I had a scripted animation playing.

Sorry for the bump!

Has anyone applied this to the module? I can’t seem to figure out where/how to apply this, testing this on a 2.0 rig is accurate enough as it is but when I test this using the woman package the arms are way off target (potentially also due to the elbow offset?)

This looks useful, and I was actually looking for inverse kinematic tutorials. But I’m still unsure about how to use it for walking in where you put the script wise or if this is even for walking. This kinda went over my head so I can’t really figure out how to use it with walking.

I might just change names or something, i’m also not sure if this is only for animations instead of actual walking (For an fps game a couple friends and i are working on).

How do I use this for walking? (Or if its already for walking just tell me I don’t really know how this works)

The function provided cannot be run as it errors at :pointToObjectSpace(), the error it provides is
For the originCF im passing through a cframe, for the targetPos im passing through a position.

I’m incredibly confused any help is appreciated.

Edit: my bad i was doing something wrong

Is there anyway I could apply this to 3 joints (upper arm, lower arm, hand)?

Youtube has got ya covered :wink:

Sadly it doesn’t I’ve tried said method multiple times to no luck. I’ve covered the internet trying to find a solution yet cannot.

might be a little off topic but, why do make a variable for VECTOR3_UP instead of Vector.yAxis? Same goes for any other use you’ve given it

The release of vector.yAxis is on 2021 and the tutorial is on 2019.

Also localizing your variables is always preferred for minor optimization rather than indexing it from a table using the dot notation

3 Likes