~30 second delay after running game in studio

• Describe the bug. Describe what is happening when the bug occurs. Describe what you would normally expect to occur.

When running my game via Play from studio, when I Stop it takes ~30 seconds for studio to be responsive again, upon which it says in the output window:
21:25:26.611 - Not running script because past shutdown deadline (x339)
This is murder on my ability to rapidly iterate changes.
It used to take 2 seconds to become responsive again, the time my BindToClose script would take to execute.
My BindToClose script hasn’t changed, and I rolled back my Place a couple of days to see if this was something I had done, but it was still exhibiting the problem.

• How often does the bug happen (Everytime/sometimes/rarely)? What are the steps that reproduce the bug? Please list them in very high detail. Provide simple example places that exhibit the bug and provide description of what you believe should be the behavior.

It happens every time in most but not all of my places.
It happens with this one: https://www.roblox.com/games/418020311/Physics-Inconsistency-Repro-Case
To repro, open it in the editor. Press Play. Wait 2 seconds. Press stop. Try to navigate in studio, open scripts, whatever - you won’t be able to for a while, and then the output window will print “Not running script because past shutdown deadline”

• When did the bug start happening? If we can tie it to a specific release that helps us figure out what we broke.

It started happening some time after 5PM today, 8/23/2018.

• Anything else that you would want to know about the bug if it were your job to find and fix it.
16 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah this is a problem with game:BindToClose()

Quick fix is to just disable it if youre in studio

if not game:GetService("RunService"):IsStudio() then
 game:BindToClose(function()
  --do whatever
 end)
end
7 Likes

Oh sweet, I didn’t know about IsStudio() that’s hell of useful for other things too.

2 Likes

Not a fix, but a work around. This issue is development-halting when testing datastore related stuff as SetAsync is a yield function.

3 Likes

I unmarked the solution as it is a workaround, not a fix to the bug.

1 Like

Frustrating bug. Another thing I’ve noticed is that when it does end, I can no longer use the “find” shortcut in any scripts until I close and reopen Studio. This has been a problem on and off in the past but it’s 100% replicable now.

Edit: The Ctrl+F problem can also be fixed by closing all scripts

8 Likes

I encountered that last night, but I didn’t know it was a problem before now.

That’s been driving me crazy for ages. I thought I was the only one. It can also be mitigated by clicking Find twice in the script menu ribbon

Just started experiencing this problem too. I guess I’ll have to disable BindToClose() in studio for the timebeing.

I too am having this issue, however all of my BindToClose calls are already disabled when IsStudio.

2 Likes

Same issue here, all of my :BindToClose() are commented out but the problem persists

2 Likes