3D Importer Support for glTF Files [Beta]

Are you textures mapped using relative or absolute paths?

From the post above:

Known Issues
In this Beta release, the relative paths for texture files will fail to be found. The workaround for now is to use full paths to your texture files, or embedded files. We will address this limitation soon after this launch.

I would suggest trying to export with the textures embedded, this will consistently give you the best results. If you don’t feel like re-exporting, you can also manually select the textures from the UI, click on a texture node, then click the folder icon next to the texture path.

1 Like

Does the importing of glTF files properly support industry standard model instancing? For example, if I import a scene I do not get 32 different models of the same tree each with their own unique asset id like I have in the past with FBX files.

2 Likes

For now it behaves the same way as the current FBX import (I.e. each mesh instance will get its own ID regardless of if it’s a duplicate of another).
However, this is something we would like to improve on the future, and because glTF has a clear mesh instancing paradigm it should be totally possible. It’s very much on our minds and something we will try and do as soon as we get the time to!

3 Likes

Thanks, I appreciate the quick response. This is definitely something we have been wanting for some time and will really improve upon the import process. I also think this will make it easier for people to import premade scenes from popular 3rd party model vendors. Sadly right now the process of importing a complex scene is unusable as duplication of assets does not allow for gpu instancing and performance in a large scene is not good. :frowning:

Keep up the good work! You guys are awesome!

3 Likes

[FIXED] turns out gltf files exported from blender version 3.5.0 seem to be janky and will not detect texture files, exporting from blender version 3.0.1 fixed it

4 Likes

Is there any plan for the ability to import custom LODs? The current autogenerated LOD system often leaves a lot to be desired and for many models the LODs are completely unusable.

2 Likes

Will this help us better upload out creations from roblox to 3D printable files? (at the moment they tend to have a lot of missing triangles.)

1 Like

There is no such plan and likely never will be, sorry :frowning:

I can, however, confirm that there is significant active work on upgrading the LOD system. We are improving our LOD algorithms. And we are also investing in the ability to retroactively upgrade LODs of assets that were imported in the past. This will mean that in the future, as we continue to develop better algorithms everyone will benefit, even really old games/assets.

I cannot provide a timeline on any of the above it will take the time it needs to take, but people are working on this today.

2 Likes

I have the same, textures on objects look weird (gLTF)

2 Likes

This is how it looks, generally .gltf doesn’t find textures automatically for me yet, .glb does it well, but the same error with textures.

2 Likes

I’m in contact with Roblox, seems like a bug on Roblox end.

2 Likes

Oh thanks! I didn’t know that!

if you’re using blender try exporting it in version 3.0.1 and when exporting make sure you check UVs in the geometry dropdown

3 Likes

How to check it in Unreal Engine?

why do you need to check it in unreal engine?
if you want to preview/make sure the export looks good you can check it here https://gltf-viewer.donmccurdy.com/

1 Like

The error is on Roblox’s side.

1 Like

@OriginalSleepyhead Can you report it?

1 Like

This is amazing news! One thing I would really love to see support for is exporting Roblox Terrain with the glTF exporting, or FBX exporting.

You can export terrain with the OBJ format currently, but it makes MASSIVE files 2+gb for large maps, and there is no texture information either, so we can’t use the terrain textures on them even if we wanted too.

It’s nice to hear animations will be supported in the future. Does this also mean we will be able to import multiple animations at once? This would be incredibly useful for bigger projects, as rigged models do tend to contain a fair amount of animations, importing them one-by-one using the Animation Editor for each rig is very time-consuming.

1 Like

Yup! In fact this is already supported in the new mesh importer for .fbx files! The behavior should be the same for glTF files.

4 Likes